MKII - More valuable than they are worth?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Frontiersman, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

I picked up an excellent MKII "standard" today. I keep pretty good tabs on the local market and felt good about the purchase. It's an 82 in 95-98% condition. I like all the MK series and add one to the pile when I run across one at a decent price.

As I often do with a used purchase, I brought it home, looked up the year, and priced it in Blue Book. BB seems to favor certain arms for some reason you can't put your finger on. And it looks down on others. Often you can see the price correlation with rarity or age, but not always.

I could speculate on my own, but for the sake of conversation ...

Why do MK IIs fair so poorly in BB?

2. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

Well I am a relatively new Ruger bolt action fanatic. Having said that, I have nine Ruger Hawkeye’s I do not own an MK series. In my opinion what makes a rifles price climb lies in a number of different factors. One would be the rarity or the availability of the gun, such as a limited run or something. Another would be the caliber of the gun you’re looking at. The desire ability of the action of the gun, but really I think it’s a combination of these things. I’ve never ruled out an MK design from Ruger but I am fond of the Hawkeye for sure because it is controlled round fed. Not real sure if the MK rifles are. Just haven’t had a real reason to buy one because the caliber I sought was available in a Hawkeye new. I really don’t like buying used guns because of several factors. Mainly dealing with barrel life. That being said I’ve probably missed out on a lot of great buys. Who knows?

3. Frontiersman

Did they make a MK rimfire rifle?

I was referring to the MK II rimfire pistol.

4. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

Oh no. I’m sorry I thought you were referring to the old Ruger m77 MK-II. Sorry.

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed is Ruger can make a high quality firearm at a reasonable price. They hace never been overpriced to begin with and are usually available. So, your resale value will be limited to no more than the value of a new gun depeding on condition and demand for the older model.

I haven't sold many of my Rugers even after 35 years of trading guns at gun shows. But I have sold some of my Mks and 10'/22s. They were inexpensive and they were abundant. Prices on used ones are usually fair, but I have to get them at half their book value to do any good. Most people want near book value. They don't get it that there are a lot of new ones there at fair prices. Definatly below retail.

6. armbruse

armbruse Member

I have the latest MK target model. Also have the latest Charger take down. Really like both, and the other Rugers I own. As mentioned, over abundance would be the only thing I could think of.

7. Frontiersman

I haven't seen a Ruger MK anything for under 200.00 in a lot of years. MK IIs are running 250-350 depending on the exact model and condition. So I guess they are selling above book value here. Just curious to see what was going on elsewhere.

8. symetry

symetry New Member

What they are WORTH, has nothing to do with what someone will pay, if they really want one.

I've seen MKII pistols sell for over $500( depending on condition and specific model)....worth it? I dunno.

MKII Gov Target $500
    004.JPG

9. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Welp, don't know much about the Blue Book prices on them, but I sure wish I had the one I used to have.

10. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Some Mks I sold in the last few years used at gunshows.

Blue 4" standard Mk I for 275, excellet/no box. Got it off a ''walk in'' at a show for 150. Guy was happy cause he had bought it new in '77 for 90+.

Blue 6 7/8'' tapered bull barrel, ''Liberty'' marked, Mk I and LNIB. Sold for 350. Got it off an old man at a show. He said he had doubled his money since he got it new in '76. Those were about a bill+ back then.

Sold my old high mileage, '77 Mk I for 225 a few years back. It had been taken down so many times the upper receiver would fall off when the disassembly pin was removed. It still worked fine, but we just didn't use it after I got a 4'' standard MkII Wife likes it better with the bolt hold open. Got that one for a bill off a guy at a show. It was an LNIB ''basketcase'' that he took apart and could not reassemble.

I recently was offered a 6'' standard ''Liberty'' by a local collecter that only likes rifles. Nice gun, no box. Took it on consignment for 2 bills not expecting much more. Well, along comes a couple looking for older Rugers. They offered 250 or an old Smith & Wesson .38 short & a bill. I had 3 on the Ruger and almost blew them off. Figured the Smith was a beater as most old top breaks are.

The lady pulled it outta a paper bag whitch did not look favorable. I tried not to look uninterested as I wiped the drool from my chin. A near perfect, smokeless era top break .38. I did not even mention that I would have been quite willng to swap even. They had already made their offers. Goi them to give up 25 bucks more to do the deal. I only had to pay 75 bucks for the Ruger and they paid the rest. The S & W was almost free.

Right now, I have neen working two locals on a blue and a stainless. Both target models. Gonna be awhile cause they have too much sentimental value to them. Like book value.

Anyway, I already have two stainless target models. Only gave 2 bills for each one. Only one I wish I hadn't sold was a 10'' stainless target model that my nephew still has.

Frontiersman likes this.
  11. Frontiersman

MK Is seem to hold a higher book value, though it goes either way at the shops and shows around here. You don't see many used ones in shops to begin with and when you do, they are usually a good buy. I think it's the lack of a bolt hold open on last round. Now at a show, it seems to be one extreme or the other. I picked up one for 225 at one table and its twin sister was 450 a couple rows over. same model, same condition, same year, same show.

It's a fickle market.

12. DParker

DParker Active Member

Actually, what people are willing to pay for something is the very definition of something's monetary "worth".

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  13. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Several of the Ruger Mark II pistols, mostly the rarer versions have brought some 'very' high prices on the auction sites.
    There was a NIB KMK 10 ( stainless 10-inch ) that sold for $1201.00 on Gunbroker. Also, some of the more rare pistols and distributor versions produced in low numbers seem to fetch $500.00 and above in 'like-new' condition:
    [​IMG]
    Not too many of the were made in both blued and stainless.
    The Mark II Competition Target and the Mark II Government pistols are known to get bids that are 2 to 3 times what they originally sold for, but here again, they need to be in 'top-notch' condition:
    [​IMG]
    The 10-inch barreled Ruger Mark II pistols, in stainless steel and blue finished carbon steel were geared toward the silhouette crowd, but as that type of shooting sorta dropped off, so did the sales of these pistols and now, they do get some very costly prices attached.
    [​IMG]
    I sold an extra 10-inch Mark II in excellent condition for $730.00 a while back. That was three times my original cost.