Mk IV 22/45 Lite springs...

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Brian Richman, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

I never thought that a new gun would need a trigger job, but man, this one might!!!!

Just over half way to breaking for each round, my Mk IV (maybe shot 100 rounds through it now) trigger feels like it's crunching some glass. It's not of course, but for part of it's travel, it is rough.

Also the springs in the magazines (both of them) are like REALLY tough to compress when loading them up. The first 5 rounds are not too bad, but from 6 to 10, it's like I need a "Thumb Saver" kind of thing as I'm getting callouses compressing the things down! ;)

For those who are more experienced with mark pistols than I am, does the trigger thing sound like it just needs more oil in the mechanism or is this an issue that is "known" about? By the way, I'm not against getting a new trigger assembly (was thinking about putting a third party one in for competition use anyway), but just curious if others have had this kind of "feeling" from it as well as me.

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

I had the trigger replaced in my mark III first thing. Best thing I ever did. Try
    https://volquartsen.com
    For a very good trigger. The Mark IV probably has the same trigger as the previous versions.

3. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

Which one is better? TandemKross or Volquartsen and why? (I'm curious is my reason for asking).

4. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

A quick update ...

After several field strip and reassembles, along with more oil than I'd usually put on it, the trigger is travelling much more smoothly than before. I picked up a mag loader thing for $5 from Academy Sports and it is really going to save my thumbs (that's a play on words - they are called thumb savers after all) but those mag springs are really stiff!!!! Hope they "break in" quickly.

My question to RL Johnson however remains. Which one of the replacement triggers is to be preferred and why?

TandemKross do a combo with the Volquartsen acurising parts but with their own trigger in it. Kind of a cross over deal? :) Is it any good?

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  5. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

From what I understand they are both fine companies. I bought a compensator from them, just looked cool until I could afford a silencer.

Brian Richman likes this.
  6. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

I'm just going to have to get the parts and try it out. ;)

7. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I love my factory trigger on my Mark IV Hunter.

8. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

Mine is not a hunter. A lot of lube latter and the trigger has lost it's crunchiness but I also have a TandemKross trigger on the way and I'll see how that one feels once it's in the frame.

pmdoit likes this.
  9. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

That TK trigger is the "Ducks Guts" as those Aussies would say. Fantastic. Pre and post travel adjustments and half the pull needed than the stock one. Ruger should just change to using a better trigger. Much better.

fredc likes this.
  10. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

Another update. With breaking in and so on, the mag springs are much easier in use now. My thumbs certainly appreciate the easier use but I don't need the loader now. Everything is settling in nicely now I am 400 rounds in.

11. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

I never recommend any of the parts kits. First they cost a lot and then you get some parts you really don't need.
    As far as triggers are concerned. What shape trigger shoe do you prefer? Do you like a curved trigger to fit your trigger finger or a flat face trigger? Another option is a smooth face trigger or a trigger face with pointed pyramids on it? Steel, or aluminum?

So, there are a few things to consider before a clear recommendation can help you.
    Unfortunately, no, The Ruger Mark IV has a bit different trigger system than the previous versions did. It is slight, but enough to make a difference. For one thing the sear is altogether, a different bread of critter from what the previous Ruger Mark variations used.

pmdoit likes this.
  12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I often hear people saying they didn't like the triggers on their MK pistols. I don't have a problem with either triggers. I guess to each his/her own likes. I don't see any need to spend the money for a trigger kits for either of mine.

Today I took both my MKII and MKIV out for some plinking at small medicine bottles. I was knocking the little bottles all around.
    I have to say I am a better shot with my MKs than I am with my Sr22. I will be keeping my stock trigger actions.

armbruse, SGW Gunsmith and pmdoit like this.
  13. SGW Gunsmith

^^^I had five of my customers test flat face triggers that have pyramid type points on the trigger shoe face. Only one of those five testers liked that style, the other four preferred a curved trigger shoe that fit their half-round fingers. They also preferred a smooth face trigger.
    Any Ruger Mark trigger can easily have pre and over-travel set screws installed, but no matter which style trigger is used, it doesn't do anything to improve the trigger pull weight. That can easily be proven when using a "GOOD" trigger pull gauge. Proper sear and hammer notch work using a Power Custom sear and hammer fixture is the key, or the purchase of a smoother sear with a better face angle.

pmdoit likes this.
  14. SGW Gunsmith

Have you measured the pull weight with a scale? Sounds definitely like the internal parts need to be inspected.