Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Ruger MK II KMK514 that I truly love! But that damn safety! Too small to access conveniently, and difficult to actuate, soooo...I just didn't . Since then, I have thought;
1-DSC_0019.jpg
"Hmmmm...round in chamber, safety never activated...seems like a recipe for a real disaster." So, one night while watching TV, I worked the safety about 200+ times. Then later, another ~ 100. Much easier to engage now, but still small & inconvenient. I'm considering a new MK IV, if only because of the two giant killers...assembly/disassembly and the safety. I know there will be a few "experts" who claim to have had no problem with reassembly since their favorite uncle gave them a Ruger Standard model when they were 7!:rolleyes: There truly may be a few among them who have never had the same problems with reassembly that caused even an Australian Regimental Sergeant Major and myself to offer up curses upon the head of him who designed it!
Is there some sort of larger and/or replacement for the MK II safety that doesn't cost at least a finger or two?

·
Banned
405 Posts
Due to where the detent spring hole is located, it's difficult to make an effective, larger, safety thumb button.
You might consider smoothing out the area in the grip frame where the safety detent rides along that edge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Due to where the detent spring hole is located, it's difficult to make an effective, larger, safety thumb button.
You might consider smoothing out the area in the grip frame where the safety detent rides along that edge.
Thank you! The continual working of the safety button has smoothed and lightened the effort necessary, and I now find it satisfactory to carry it with the safety engaged. :) Not fast? True, but it is not a "Tactical Combat " pistol, and I am not a "Tactical Combat" guy. :cool:

·
Banned
405 Posts
Thank you! The continual working of the safety button has smoothed and lightened the effort necessary, and I now find it satisfactory to carry it with the safety engaged. :) Not fast? True, but it is not a "Tactical Combat " pistol, and I am not a "Tactical Combat" guy. :cool:
I know what you mean. I have a "steel plate set-up" out back of my shop. It's nothing sanctioned, tactical, or anywhere near along the lines of what competitors shoot at, but it helps me "kick my speed shooting up a notch" , and I don't need to adhere to the ways of some range officer and how they think I should do things:

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Damn safety" is right! I seldom use mine because it's so stiff and if need to render the weapon "SAFE", I'll generally drop the mag and clear the chamber.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Really, it's not that difficult to smooth the action involved with placing the safety "on", or to move it off, the safe position, if one only does some smoothing of the safety detent socket in the grip frame, and then polish the safety detent. I do that all the time during the "smoothing & tuning" process involved with the Ruger Mark pistols grip frame. It will amaze you how much more smoothly, easily and safely, the safety will operate after that process is done properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts