Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
prundel
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I mean is mis-loading. I have 2 MK II's - a true oldie from 1983 or so and a newer one - Government model. Upgraded both with Volquartsen triggers etc. - both are bull barrels and frankly shoot about the same accuracy. My problem is that recently, the newer Gov't model doesn't seem to like standard velocity ammo, and frequently will not load a second or third round in a clip. Ejects the spent round properly, and closes the bolt on an empty chamber. Not sure if this is related to the magazine? or something else. My old MK II bull barrel never fails to load anything I put in the clip. Any help will be grandly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mark your mags, then try them in each pistol. If the same mag malfunctions in both then its the mag.
If the malfunctions only occur in the one pistol then check the springs and feed ramp etc.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to Rugertalk 4dogspete,

I invite you to introduce yourself over at "Introductions"
Tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks,

It does sound like you have a mag problem ,

Jim

·
prundel
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - next question - is there any way to evaluate the magazine without running 10 or so clips thru the gun? What kind of examination ?? Or is there a tried and true method of cleaning the magazine(s)???

·
Registered
147 Posts
My MKIII Hunter had issues with loading rounds and often jammed into the feed ramp.

I got new magazines and the issue is 80-90% better but not completely 100%.

Do some internet research and there as some suggestions on how to tweak the old mags to help out. It's like the cartridge isn't high enough in the mag to clear the sharp lip of the feed ramp. It's worse with hollow points.

And on mine, the empty shell doesn't eject just right causing more jams. This is a related but separate issue that I've fought.

I got new parts from Volquerson (sp) to rebuild my ejector and firing pin, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. Hoping this helps.

Ruger service is great, but my issue hasn't been handled as well as is typically done. Most of the comments I've found say the same. It's a problem on enough guns to be a problem, but they don't acknowledge it.

They turned me down on exchanging mags or even offering partial credit.

·
prundel
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggesitons. I have installed Volquartsen 'accuracy' parts including the exact extractor. Even sent it to Volquartsen for a trigger check (I had a steel trigger - not the Volquartsen trigger - and the trigger pull was not consistent. They installed a new volquatsen trigger and the trigger problem went away, but the feed issue wasn't there previously. Bought some new magazines without much improvement if any at all.

I think you are right - it's either the magazine that doesn't push the cartridge up high enough to match the insertion ramp, or it is something else. Last week I tried using 1200 fps bullets with much better results, but that is not an acceptable solution, as this may only be temporary???

Someone said I need to clean the magazine(s) and suggested using paint thinner as it leaves no residue. I did that but don't think that has much bearing on the problem, and I certainly cannot figure out how to take the magazine(s) apart to do a thorough cleaning - need to mess with it a bit more.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts