Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to get the SR40C out of moth balls again. I had a problem this time and was surprised because I have never had any malfunction with this gun.
Late Saturday evening I shot maybe 15 rounds and I had two misfires. I looked at the primers and it appeared both had light strikes. I reloaded the same rounds two more times before they fired off. I couldn't find those two rounds to check the primers again. I quit for the night.
Sunday I decided try it again. I believe it was my first mag load and I had two misfires again. I thought what the heck is going on. The next time using those same rounds they fired off. I didn't have any problem with anymore of the 75 rounds I shot.
The ammo was Winchester 40 S&W 165 grain FMJ target white box 100 ct.
The gun was clean when I started shooting as I had cleaned it before putting back into the safe. The gun stays in the plastic Ruger box it came in. I have not noticed any rust or corrosion of any kind on the gun.
Could the firing pin channel have had some debris gummed up at first causing the light strikes? Like I said it didn't misfire for the next 70 rounds I shot. I don't oil the firing pin channel. I do dry fire this gun since Ruger says it doesn't hurt the gun.
After shooting I cleaned the gun again and it surprised me it really wasn't dirty after shooting almost 100 rounds. This ammo shoots pretty clean IMO. I guess I will have to shoot another box and see what happens. One thing I really liked about this gun is it never malfunctioned. Perhaps it was a gummy fire pin channel caused it. It had been many months since I last shot it. Maybe the 4 rounds had bad primers?
Here's keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Misfires are not acceptable to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I should take mine to the range and try it out. Carry it some but not fired it - I can not remember when! It has never malfunction or misfired. May be my favorite gun. Good excuse for the range. I normally carry LC9, LC380, or Bersa 380cc and always the LCP on my ankle. Sometimes I grab the 40c but not often.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could just be the ammo buster.... I've seen several people having problems with win white box ammo.. Everything from what you describe, to major inconsistency in velocity.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sort of leaning toward the ammo being the problem. Like I said I reloaded them into mag and the first two took three times before they fired off. The second two took twice shot to get them to fire off. About 80 rounds and only 4 misfired seems to me probably was the primers were bad.
I have a question maybe someone can answer. If a round doesn't fire off would it show a lighter hit on the primer because the round wasn't firing off?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Range time with the SR40c today. I had couple boxes of Winchester white box ammo 165 and 180. 149 flawless rounds and one misfire. Put that round in a Glock and miss fire. Good reason to think Winchester has a few bad ones in the mix. I love my SR40c. Great gun. Safe to say your miss fire probably the ammo.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree with it being faulty ammo. I shot some Fiochi today and no problems. Friend came over with his daughter to shoot a few different guns. I loaded up some mags and he shot my SR40C. He, like some of you here, said the Winchester white box has had reports of failures. I very seldom buy the white box but Wally's had some so I bought the one box some time ago.
I am glad my SR doesn't have a problem.
My friend has an SR9C and he said it had to be sent back to Ruger due to mag disconnect safety feature causing FTF. I shot his SR9C and I liked it but I still like my 40. He shot my 40 and he was surprised it wasn't hard shooting at all and he really liked it. The Ruger SR40C does a good job of taming the recoil of the 40. The 9 is much cheaper to shoot for sure.
Again glad my gun is still a keeper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
since I reload and once in a blue moon do not get a primer seated correctly, I installed an extra power striker spring from Galloway Precision. have not had an issue. the other thing I have seen that resembles a light strike is if the pistol is ever so slightly out of battery. does not take much. I have an XDs .45 3.3 that would do this from time to time until I got the Dremel out and did some polishing. the feed ramp and chamber both got a light polish and the issue went away. if there is even a little burr in your chamber you might be able to clean it up, just don't over do it. a very little is usually enough. make sure you don't remove the metal needed.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. I found I was again getting misfires and I had it with two other makes of ammo. So that was three different ammo that had light strikes. On another thread here they had same problems and Ruger said send it back to them. One guy got a new replacement gun from Ruger. So I got in touch with Ruger and they said send it in to be checked out. That was last Tuesday the 24th and they received it the 26th. I just got email from FedEx the gun is on its way back to me and I should have it Thursday 4-2-15. I am wondering what the report will state they did with the gun.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my SR40C back from Ruger today. Notes from Ruger on repair.
Items replaced; magazine disconnect, slide stop spring, striker assy., striker blocker, trigger bar lift spring, trigger bar reset.
After repair pistol was fired 24 rounds of Black Hills 155gr fmj, without malfunction.
I always did think my mag release was hard to push and release the mag. Well I guess tomorrow I will try a few different rounds of ammo and see if it goes bang like it should.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My replacement SR40c from Ruger is waiting to be picked up. Strange they sent me a new gun with just light strikes. It worked flawless until a couple of weeks ago. I also have a new Bersa 9cc and Kahr CT380 waiting to be picked up. So the range I go next week.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told by a friend that if a gun is returned more than twice for same problem then they will often replace the gun. I guess third time would suffice the lemon rule for replacement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Range today with new SR40c (replacement) Perfect performance. Much stiffer than my original. Front site appears larger. May be my imagination.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Received my SR back from Ruger a week ago.

I took mine out to the back yard target and shot 100 rounds with no problems. I still really like this SR40c. It still is one of my favorite guns. I do like the 40 cal.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
update....
Having new problems now that they replaced so many parts in my SR40C. I am not getting light strikes but now the trigger is failing to reset till I pull back 1/4 movement of the slide. The last 100 rounds had about a dozen failure to reset. I tried shooting one handed and strong two handed grip and it didn't make any difference both would have failure. To me that rules out any limp wristing of the gun.
I called Ruger and was told that they had done the upgrade replacement parts while they had it for light strikes. Strange I hadn't had any trigger reset problems till after they did the update repairs. My friend had this trigger reset problem with his SR9C and they updated repair on his gun with his not having anymore problems. I guess that is why Ruger did the update repairs on mine since it evidently has been a problem in these guns. Their update screwed my gun I know that much. Seems I have a problem gun now. So now the gun is on its way back to Ruger.
I so liked this gun mainly because it was so dependable among other things but now I don't have much faith in the dependability part either. If I didn't dislike Glocks so much I would buy one of them. Then again I have seen Glocks fail also and they had some repair problems also. Glad I carry a revolver now for self defense protection.
I guess I will know in about a week what the outcome this time will be.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent SR40C back to Ruger for repair on Monday and they received it on Wednesday the 15th. Today the 17th I received email gun is now in route from FedEx and due to deliver this Tuesday the 21st. Fast turn around and I sure hope it is fixed and operates perfectly this time. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,
I am a little confused so please bear with me. First you said that you were using Winchester WB, which in my eyes is not a good round. Then, if I read it correctly you said you shot some reloads, am I correct? If so, what primers are you using. For my Glock, gen 3 19, I was using CCI primers and called and talked to them. I explained that I had FTF (failure to fire). There answer was that I wasn't putting my primers in deep enough, in other words, the bridge gap was to shallow to ignite. They said to set the primers at .008. Lyman's book and many other books state .003-.005 for primer depth. That ended my using CCI primers. They don't know S**T! They said on a stryker fired pistol, the stryker will go to a depth of .008 which I think is BULL. Then you tried different ammo and it started doing the same thing. To me, and remember you are talking to the mentally disabled here, I really think the ammo is your problem. There are certain types of ammo I will NOT buy and WWB is one. I also had problems with my Glock not resetting the trigger last week down at my local range. I would have to rack the slide about 3 times before I could get it to reset. However I was using some of my reloads. I could stick my 9mm in my Colt Commander and they fired. Somewhere along the line, and I don't know why, I think you are experiencing some ammo problems but I am not sure. Call Ruger and ask to talk to a head technician or simply ask for the plant manager and go through the whole routine with him. Don't mess with a reg tech, go to the boss and explain your problems. I know the cost of ammo can be atrocious however the quality of the ammo has to be there. Personally, and this is MHO ammo suppliers are so far behind that they are just shoving ammo out the door without any quality assurance. I sent my 1911 Commander back to Ruger and had some repairs done on it and I bought some cheaper 230RN .45 (American) today as Sunday is my shooting day and I want to check my gun out and all I have to check with are my reloads. I bought the factory loads to ensure that I don't have problems. I don't have any problems with my reloads however, I want to make sure that I have done everything right, so if I have problems, I can try to eliminate ammo out of the situation. I wish I could help you more but remember " the squeeky wheel gets the grease" and make sure you DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU SAY AND DO WHEN TALKING TO RUGER!!!! When talking to the manager, go through the complete process from day 1, when you got the pistol to the present day and give them the dates that your repairs were done. Documentation means everything.
Please let us know how you come out and what the problem is. BEST OF LUCK AND DON'T QUIT!!!
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I hear you and I am keeping track of this gun and the problems.
First I had problems with light strike which it first started with WWB ammo. Then I used UMC which I still had light strikes and I never had problems with UMC ammo before. I also used some factory reloads and had light strikes. Because of this I decided it was a problem with the gun so I sent it back to Ruger. When I got it back and Ruger had replaced a few of gun parts which were also part of the update Ruger has for the SR guns for trigger failure to reset.
So when I got the gun back I shot around 100 rounds and had 2 problems which I deemed was from my fault so I let it go. Then I shot another 100 rounds a couple days later and I had around 8 or more trigger fail to reset issues. I shot one handed and also 2 handed tight grip and it didn't make any difference so I ruled out my limp wristing causing the failures.
What is strange is how a friend of mine who had trigger reset problems with his SR9C said he bet I will have problems with mine before to long. Well mine started having problems almost immediately after he said that. My gun is around 3 years old but I probably only put under 500 rounds through it total. Funny how many guns say they need a 500 round break in period before flaws will straighten out. I call that BS and is just a crap for quality made gun. My problems started after I had 300 or more rounds through it.
I use a high quality gun oil from Wilson Combat because I saw the oil tested by WC to be far superior to several other gun oils. I have some friends that were surprised how much smoother their slide action was after I cleaned and oiled their guns with the WC oil. The reason I bring this up is to show my slide and internal parts are kept lubed for maximum operation performance.
I will be testing another 100 - 200 rounds through it when I get it back this next week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had my 40c a couple of years Shoot a few mags every so often. Probably not over 300 in a the two years. Started with light strikes one or two. Thought it was the ammo. Put them in my Clock. Fired fine. Thought nothing of it. Months later bring out the 40c. Same thing. Then it did not fire at all. Thought I was not seating mag in properly. Slam in the mags and surprise started firing. Now I am concerned. Went back to range a couple weeks later. Does not work at all. Nothing! Called Ruger they wanted my gun as they are having problems with light strikes. Ruger sent me a new gun. So far it works great, as designed. Two trips to range I have maybe 100 rounds through it. No issues.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my gun today and took it out back for test firing it. I shot 100 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. Ruger note said they replaced the slide assy. and the trigger assy. They also replaced several of the springs they had replaced the last time they had it. Ruger note said they shot 74 rounds without any malfunctions. It seems to be working as it should now as it shot 100 rounds.
People can say what they want about a 40 being snappy but this SR40C handles the recoil without any discomfort after 100 rounds. LOL I don't think I could say that shooting my LCR with 357 mags in it.
TC I am not even going to show my target shooting results from 30'. I can stay in a 8" circle at 30' but I sure can't stay in a 10 ring 94 out of a 100. I did try some new pointers and it did help me shoot better. Such as not rapping my little finger around the grip. That did help me stay more centered grouping. I am often shooting a little low so obviously I am dropping the muzzle. I really need take some shooting classes.
Anyway I am glad the gun is functioning as it should now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts