Minneapolis stabber @20 feet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommycourt, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have been watching the news pretty carefully especially about the perp in the Minneapolis area who was running around posing as a guard and stabbing people. I think he stabbed 9 people before he was killed by an off duty officer. The mayor stated that the officer was about 20' away and the perp was going towards the officer when he was shot. He was shot 4 times before he fell at the officers feet. Supposedly, just supposedly his off duty weapon was a 9mm although that has not been confirmed yet. This officer is trained for these situations and had substantial training although probably never thought or trained for this situation. We all know the 21 foot rule. This was a good example. If and I say if, he was using a 9mm as a back-up or .38 special, what does that say about what we should carry as a EDC? I am also wondering if he was shooting at center of mass? What are your thoughts and do you have any more info? And if he was using a .380 I would really have the shivers.

Tommy

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You watch people will say the cop used excessive force because the bad guy only had a knife. I watched a video about the 20 ft rule with a knife. This is with the good guy's gun holstered. The good guy got stabbed every time but once I think. It doesn't take long to cover 20'. You better be pumping lead into him at the 20' mark, not drawing your gun at that point.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's why I practice , point and [email protected] 7rds.

Standing, walking, turning, ducking, bending, (not laying down, not aiming).
    Just trying to hit the target, 24x24"

With a .45

Jim

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think there's a problem getting the gun out of the holster soon enough.

Remember seeing the 'holster-on-a-pivot' in a Western movie?

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Besides the discomfort the time required to yank a shirt up to get at a gun held tight in an IWB holster is why I never wanted to carry IWB. As they say to each his own.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I carry an OWB holster when I carry my SR1911 however it is always covered with a T shirt. Out here in the summer it is too hot not to wear a T shirt and in the winter time, I hide it under my vest. I try to practice from 25 feet because at my age I won't be able to draw out my pistol that quick.

Tommy