Mini 30 Lovers

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by firefox, Dec 21, 2013.

1. firefox

firefox New Member

Taking a poll out there. For all of you guys out there that own a Mini 30, what was the reasoning behind purchasing it, over the AK variants that shoot 7.62x39. I own a Mini 30 and love it. I found the AK to be uncomfortable and awkward, and I love Rugers. Love my 14 also. I am just curious on what people have to say. Let me know your thoughts.

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have one. I also have a few commie guns as well.

The AK's and SKS's tend to have smaller stocks. The Mini 30 has more of a traditional rifle stock making a bit easier to shoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. firefox

firefox New Member

I agree with you Steadyshot. Do you shoot wolf steel cased through yours? I have yet to run anything but American Eagle brass through mine, as I have heard all the horror stories about steel. What's been your experience with ammo, on the Mini 30?

4. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I haven't shot any Wolf, but I have shot some Tulammo steel case through it with no problems.

5. Mr7mag

Mr7mag New Member

Anyone know we're I can buy 7.62x39 ammo but nonled?

6. firefox

firefox New Member

What kind of scope set up are you guys running on your Mini30? I currently am just running the iron but would like suggestions on what works well with this rifle.

7. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Sold mine. Loved the rifle but got tired of inconsistent light primer strikes. The 7.62x39, the physical dimensions of the Mini30 and the Garand styling are perfection in my opinion. Unfortunately I cannot tolerate unreliability in any rifle. So it had to go. If and when I can confirm Ruger has fixed this problem I'll be the first in line to get another Mini30. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my rock solid reliable Mini14 and M1A. If you have one that goes bang every time I envy you. Enjoy it because when it actually fires it's a helluva rifle.

8. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I have no problems with import ammo, I plan on reloading brass when build up a collection, don't shoot brass USA loads that much as yet.

9. firefox

firefox New Member

Nikon P-300 scope mounted on their Mini 30? Any one have experience with with this new Nikon offering? Looking to mount one on my Mini 30.

10. krss144

krss144 New Member

Anyone use a Mini 30 for deer hunting? My father just picked up a brand new one and wanted me to use it this year for deer hunting, just wondering if anyone uses it other than at the range?

11. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I'm considering it, sighted in last year with Fed SP rounds with iron sites. Thought it would be a quick woods gun. Last deer I shot was with an iron site 44 Marlin.

12. krss144

krss144 New Member

Well good to hear. I usually take with me to camp my 30-06 with a scope and my 30-30 iron sights for swamp/close range.