Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini-30 which was manufactured and shipped June 1991. Ruger tells me it should have a .311 bore and a 1:7 twist rate. The measured twist rate on my barrel is 1:10. There's a page on Brownell's that indicates the early rifles were .308 bore with a long throat and some .308 barrels were used through '92-'93. Can anyone here verify either correct twist rate for a that era .311 and .308 barrels??? I'm going to start reloading and using this as a 100 yd hog rifle. It is so light and handy that I think it would be an awesome rifle for that role in the 7.62x39 caliber. I have some very good .308 cavity back MKZ bullets to use. Any input appreciated on a load for these rifles as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, as I recall, Rick Jamison did a write-up on the mini-30, approx 30 yrs ago. For one of the gun magazines ( I think it was Shooting Times) At that time, he reported that the barrel of the Ruger had a bore of .311 at the chamber tapering to .308 at the muzzle. Ruger did this in the early mini -30's because at the time, .311 cal hunting legal bullets in 7.62x39 in the 120-130 gr. weight range were not available, as components, or manufactured ammo. .308 bullets were readily available in this weight range. Since Ruger marketed their Mini 30 as a Brush gun for Deer hunting, this was an important consideration.

As to Barrel twist rate, the mini 30 is 1 in 10". The person you talked to was incorrect, but some of the .223 mini 14s in that time frame had a 1 in 7" twist rate.

So, do some experimenting with your reloads. .308 and .310 cal bullets would both be safe to use in your early mini-30. Hornady makes bullets in both calibers. Best wishes, and please report back too us your shooting results!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts