Mini 30 and Russian ammo

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by BombersB52, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BombersB52

BombersB52 New Member

Watched some video on You Tube regarding fixes to the unreliability of the rifle using Tulammo etc. Has Ruger addressed this issue in any way ? What is the best method of modification to allow the use of Cheap ammo. If I have to pay a buck or there a bouts per round I'll have to look elsewhere for a 7.62

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You could consider reloading quality components. Probably about the same expense, and gives you a hobby. ;)

3. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I haven't seen the video, but I have shot a lot of cheap commie ammo, with no issues. I have heard that the older stuff with lacquer get soft and sticking when it's gets to hot. Some of the stuff I have shot was marked $2.99, if that gives you an idea of the age. As a rule I never overheat a firearm, no matter how much fun. I use the ammo in an ar platform also.

4. BombersB52

BombersB52 New Member

I just bought the Mini30. I'll avoid the steel cased stuff. Just ordered ammo on line from Sportsman Guide. Brass cased Yugo surplus at $.28 apiece. Best deal on line at the present

5. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

No offense, but if you can't shoot cheap ammo in a firearm, you might want to find a different firearm, if that's what you need to do to afford to shoot. Personally, I don't use cheap ammo in ANY firearm............if I can't afford decent ammo, I don't shoot.;)

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

NEW rifle...
    I have experienced, with Ruger rifles (semi autos) that they take some time for break in.

Shoot a few hundred brass cased ammo thru it , then try the steel case again.

;);)

May work, may not.

Jim

7. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I see big issue with cheap ammo for plinking, but for serious entertainment there is a difference for example in my home build AR 308 pic 1 is Fed 150SP, pic 2 is 168FMJ ZQ1[​IMG][​IMG]
    All factors equal..

8. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Excuse my error I don't see an issue for plinking.

9. LeeTN

LeeTN New Member

M67? I believe that it's corrosive.

10. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I don't use corrosive intentionally. Are there any new manufacture that is?

11. LeeTN

LeeTN New Member

Red Army Standard "Elite" uses copper jackets, brass cases and (I think) boxer primers. It is non-corrosive, but expensive ~ $0.50/round. It's imported by Century.

PPU also sells a similar round, of very high quality.

So does Arsenal--but it has caused feeding problems in every gun I've tried it in, including a Mini-30.

12. 5thShock

5thShock New Member

The idea of a rifle chambered for a Russian cartridge that won't function with Russian cartridges is an odd and unfortunate elitism. Would have happily paid Ruger instead of Century/Cugir/Romania but the thought of leaving those 100 dollar thousand round cases of 7.62X39 behind was just too sad.

13. LeeTN

LeeTN New Member

I routinely shoot Ukranian, Bosnian or Serbian indoors. (They all have copper jackets. Russian steel jackets are off-limits there.) The only problem is the occasional light primer strike. I've got a Wolff hammer spring, just haven't installed it yet.