Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched some video on You Tube regarding fixes to the unreliability of the rifle using Tulammo etc. Has Ruger addressed this issue in any way ? What is the best method of modification to allow the use of Cheap ammo. If I have to pay a buck or there a bouts per round I'll have to look elsewhere for a 7.62

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
You could consider reloading quality components. Probably about the same expense, and gives you a hobby. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I haven't seen the video, but I have shot a lot of cheap commie ammo, with no issues. I have heard that the older stuff with lacquer get soft and sticking when it's gets to hot. Some of the stuff I have shot was marked $2.99, if that gives you an idea of the age. As a rule I never overheat a firearm, no matter how much fun. I use the ammo in an ar platform also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the Mini30. I'll avoid the steel cased stuff. Just ordered ammo on line from Sportsman Guide. Brass cased Yugo surplus at $.28 apiece. Best deal on line at the present

·
Banned
475 Posts
No offense, but if you can't shoot cheap ammo in a firearm, you might want to find a different firearm, if that's what you need to do to afford to shoot. Personally, I don't use cheap ammo in ANY firearm............if I can't afford decent ammo, I don't shoot.;)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I just bought the Mini30. I'll avoid the steel cased stuff. Just ordered ammo on line from Sportsman Guide. Brass cased Yugo surplus at $.28 apiece. Best deal on line at the present
NEW rifle...
I have experienced, with Ruger rifles (semi autos) that they take some time for break in.

Shoot a few hundred brass cased ammo thru it , then try the steel case again.

;);)

May work, may not.

Jim

·
Registered
547 Posts
I see big issue with cheap ammo for plinking, but for serious entertainment there is a difference for example in my home build AR 308 pic 1 is Fed 150SP, pic 2 is 168FMJ ZQ1

All factors equal..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't use corrosive intentionally. Are there any new manufacture that is?
Red Army Standard "Elite" uses copper jackets, brass cases and (I think) boxer primers. It is non-corrosive, but expensive ~ $0.50/round. It's imported by Century.

PPU also sells a similar round, of very high quality.

So does Arsenal--but it has caused feeding problems in every gun I've tried it in, including a Mini-30.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The idea of a rifle chambered for a Russian cartridge that won't function with Russian cartridges is an odd and unfortunate elitism. Would have happily paid Ruger instead of Century/Cugir/Romania but the thought of leaving those 100 dollar thousand round cases of 7.62X39 behind was just too sad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I routinely shoot Ukranian, Bosnian or Serbian indoors. (They all have copper jackets. Russian steel jackets are off-limits there.) The only problem is the occasional light primer strike. I've got a Wolff hammer spring, just haven't installed it yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts