Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am new to the board, but a long time Ruger fan! I recently purchased a Mini 30 to round out my collection of Ruger semi-auto rifles, and have some questions about ammo. I have been getting mixed reviews on weather or not the 30 is able to reliably cycle cheep Russian surplus ammo. Can someone set the record straight. I am not asking about the steel cased 7.62x39 but the brass cased Russian or Yugoslav stuff. Also what are the steps to properly clean after using this corrosive stuff? All insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on the age of your Mini-30 would determine what caliber it will feed properly. The original rifles were made with 308 barrels and used a forcing cone at the front of the throat to take 7.62 ammo, generally .311 inch and be able to use it. The later rifles were make with a .311 barrel.

The real problem with the Mini-30 is the floating firing pin which strikes too softly on the surplus ammo to set the primer off. (sometimes working sometimes not) If you use commercial US ammo you will not have a problem or have to clean corrosive chemicals off your rifle.

Good Luck and have fun.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts