Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
old and lost vision in right eye and have to shoot left handed now . All my long guns are for right hand use .
I think a Mini 14 would work for me and I don't know anything about them except there are many changes made over the years and divided into series numbers .
What series should I look for and what would be a fair price ?
Thanks for any input you may have .

·
Registered
294 Posts
What series should I look for and what would be a fair price ?
Thanks for any input you may have .
Hi Ken, sorry to hear about your health issues, I don't have much to say about it but just wanted to caution you they are very expensive on a good day and now with the gougers because of the shortages due to the so called pandemic you'll be paying a premium. And watch out for the scalpers out there who are buying up guns and ammo to resell and have no other interest in firearms but to make some quick money. Some at over 200% mark-up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you don't live in a state that bans "assault weapons", why not just buy an AR and get ambidextrous controls? Even with everything going on cost-wise you can still get into an AR for less than you are likely to find a Mini 14 for. As Quirky said, price gouging will be your enemy for a Mini 14.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have an AR that I have installed a safety and bolt release on but it just does not work well for me .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not want any recommendations about adjusting to an AR and having at the same time trying to learn to shoot left handed .
All I want is to find a Mini14 at a reasonable price as my friends Mini14 works well for me .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do not want any recommendations about adjusting to an AR and having at the same time trying to learn to shoot left handed .
All I want is to find a Mini14 at a reasonable price as my friends Mini14 works well for me .
I didn't say anything about adjusting to an AR. I asked why it wasn't working because that sort of information can help with making recommendations in general that have nothing to do with an AR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't say anything about adjusting to an AR. I asked why it wasn't working because that sort of information can help with making recommendations in general that have nothing to do with an AR.
[/QUOTE

I never really liked an AR although over the years I have had several . Still have an older Bushmaster Carbine ( gave my son a Bushmaster as well plus another to my Grandson ) . I even have several .22LR conversion Kits for AR's but never use them . I have a Ciener , 2 ea. CMMG's and a military M261 .
To me the Mini 14 seems more like a rifle I am used to using over my 82 yrs. I have had many M1's , M14's , M1A's and M1 Carbines plus many Win. M70 rifles and different shotguns .

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK, so you don't like ARs for some unspecified reason. What is it you're wanting a Mini-14 for? What are your use cases? Home defense? Hunting? Plinking cans? A truck/trunk gun for the zombie apocalypse? Ruger currently offers 10 different models of the Mini-14, and it's difficult to make any recommendations regarding which would be best for you without any information regarding what you plant to use it for, what you do/don't like in a rifle, etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wonder how many versions of that thing Ruger has made over the years. If 10 are available now there are probably 20+ discontinued versions from the past.

·
Registered
642 Posts
OK, so you don't like ARs for some unspecified reason. What is it you're wanting a Mini-14 for? What are your use cases? Home defense? Hunting? Plinking cans? A truck/trunk gun for the zombie apocalypse? Ruger currently offers 10 different models of the Mini-14, and it's difficult to make any recommendations regarding which would be best for you without any information regarding what you plant to use it for, what you do/don't like in a rifle, etc.
There are 10 Ranch editions and 6 Tactical editions listed on their website. And this doesn’t count the mini-thirty but it does look like he wants a thirty caliber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Purchased a Mini 14 Series 581 Ranch Rifle and now want to install a Holo Sun Reflex sight on it .
What Optics rail works the best and does not effect ejections ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ken, if you can deal with a forward mounted sight ( Not over the reciever), then an Ultimak rail would probably work out well for you. If you are not a good hobby gunsmith, then I would recommend you find a good gunsmith to install the rail for you. And while the gas block is apart, it might also be a good time to install a reduced gas port bushing from ASI ( Accuracy Systems Inc) a .055" bushing will help reduce the overgassing, without negatively effecting the function of your mini. The practical effect of a reduced port bushing is to shorten the distance that your brass is thrown, and reduce the wear and tear of metal to metal contact, over time. Also, it wouldn't hurt to install a 1911 buffer on the reciever end of the Op rod spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts