Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Member. I have a 1989 Mini 14 Serial No 185-6038* which I bought used years ago. Shoots well. I have multiple firearms most of which are new. I bought the Mini 14 years ago at a gun show with a collapsable stock. I know nothing about the prior owner except to suspect he wasn't a "quality ammo guy!"

I am thinking about a tune up. No real reason...just going through weapons one by one. I recognize the Mini 14 for what it is and am not looking to modernize it.

My question--on a gun of this age what parts, if any, would you replace?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You come to the right place, we have a member here called TINCANBANDIT if he see's your post you'll be good to go. The dude makes old new again. It's his hobby.
Check out this thread. Refinished another rifle
Quirky--Thank you. I saw your name in Posts and was hoping you might pick this up and direct it to someone's attention. I am 71 nearing retirement and have been going through all my weapons. As I said, I bought this used with the collapsible stock and then actually bought the factory wood stock which I never installed. I like good wood on Ruger's (I also have a Mini 30) but now that collapsible stocks are all the rage I will just keep it "as is."

I would appreciate Tincanbandit's response as well as others who may care to respond. .

Again, thank you for your time to the Forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would recommend replacing the operating rod spring. On a mini that old it is likely to have lost a fair amount of tension.

Also, if you have the skills, replacing the extractor, extractor plunger and spring would be a good idea. Pay a good gunsmith to do this, if you don't have the proper tools or skills.

You should be able to order all the parts from Midway USA.

Best wishes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts