Mini 14 Trigger Job Anyone?

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by richr, Mar 8, 2016.

1. richr

richr Member

Shot my new Mini 14 tactical for the first time on Sunday and I really like it. Took just a turn and a half up on the elevation to get the peep sight pretty well adjusted. Not going to fiddle with it too much as I plan to get some kind of optic.

My only wish would be to have a lighter, smoother trigger with less take-up and less over-travel. I figure the trigger may smooth out a little with use so I won't do anything just yet. I've seen videos of guys doing Mini trigger jobs and I know it's something I wouldn't attempt myself at this point. Wondering who here has sent there triggers out to any of the various companies that offer to do this work that ranges from $55 to $100 or so. What was your experience, good and bad?

2. togterry

togterry New Member

I have used Brimstone for a few jobs. He recently did an incredible job on my 10-22 trigger group.

His customer service is great. His turnaround time was 14 days - from the day I mailed it to the day it came back.

If you do a search on any of the Ruger forums or on Rimfire Central you will see hundreds of very positive reviews with very satisfied customers. Email him with any questions - his name is Seth.

3. richr

richr Member

Pulled the trigger group out yesterday and polished the connecting points a bit with some polishing compound then applied a little grease, put it back in the gun and dry fired it a bunch of time. Take-up is now consistent with a clean break and what I think is acceptable over-travel. Must have been something in there causing a gritty feel the first time I had it to the range. I'm going to shoot the gun a while before I decide to have the trigger professionally done or not. Thanks for the reply togterry.

4. Chubbo

Chubbo Chubbo

Trigger

Are there any articles on smoothing up the Mini 14 triggers? there are many on the 10/22 triggers, but have not seen one on the Mini 14. I'v just started to look. Thanks.
    Chubbo

5. richr

richr Member

I don't remember If I saw any specific posts on RT but a quick google search will produce some videos. I've decided I'm happy with mine for now.

6. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Chubbo,

There are several. Brownells has a good one. There are a few videos out there.

I do not know what your level of experience is, but the disassembly and polishing/stoning of friction points in the trigger group can be a bit tricky and trigger parts for replacement should something go wrong, are hard to come by.

Another alternative to doing your own work is that there are several reputable places that will do a mini 14 trigger job for you for well under $100 and since the trigger group does not contain the serial number, you can send it out in a small flat rate priority box.

Doc

7. gundoc

gundoc New Member

8. Fundy

Fundy New Member

I had a number of trigger issues with my 582 series, especially with chain firing. Sent my trigger group to Accuracy Systems and received great results. A two-step, small take-up, then crisp break at about 4-5 lbs. Accuracy Systems has many services for the Mini-14.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php