Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Mini-14 Tactical. It’s the 16” barrel. So now I’m looking to dress it up. I’m thinking about a new scope. Any suggestions? Is there anything else you would buy to make this gun better? It’s the 5819 model.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congrats! But I have to ask...what exactly do you consider "better", and what purpose will this rifle fill? This model doesn't lend itself too well to being "dressed up" as their are no picatinny or M-LOK rails or attachment points anywhere on it, and the mags are platform specific (not to mention pricy; a real Ruger 20 round factory metal mag will set you back nearly $50 each), with aftermarket mags costing less money, but you take your chances with reliability.

The Ruger Mini-14 you purchased has an MSRP of $1,439...that's an awful lot of money to then have to add to, especially considering the less than stellar accuracy of the Mini-14/30 series rifles. Dressing up your Mini-14 is definitely going to cost you, but from everything I've seen and read, throwing money at the Mini-14/30 platform isn't going to make it any "better", so choose your path wisely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live on a farm. I have coyotes all around me. I’ve been using my .308 scout. But ammo is higher than .223. So I bought this gun to kill Coyote and protect my farm. Dressing up to me is a sling and a scope. I’m not looking to be Rambo. Lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some negative responses so far. Surprised.
I know that my new 584 series Mini 14 came with a Ruger scope rings and a small rail that you instlall yourself. Ruger even provided some blue loctite. I think for 100 plus yard shots, a scope would be an excellent idea

·
Registered
136 Posts
Some negative responses so far. Surprised.
I know that my new 584 series Mini 14 came with a Ruger scope rings and a small rail that you instlall yourself. Ruger even provided some blue loctite. I think for 100 plus yard shots, a scope would be an excellent idea
Just different points of view, not negative comments. In the end its all about what you want to do with your $$'s!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Ruger Mini-14 you purchased has an MSRP of $1,439
The street price is closer to $1,100 (assuming you can find one in stock), but even with that...

I’ve been using my .308 scout. But ammo is higher than .223. So I bought this gun to kill Coyote and protect my farm.
That's an odd rationale. Given the price of the rifle, the accessories you want to put on it and the relative costs of .308 vs .223 (at the lower end) you're going to have to kill about 3,700 coyotes (or more) before you break even, never mind saving any money. And that assumes that you're essentially as accurate with the Mini as you are with your .308.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have bought firearms for different purposes, and I rarely bought the cheapest weapon for the job, but often used the circumstance to buy a "particular" gun. Mini purchases are often like that (I know mine was).

Congrats on the Mini purchase. There are several different options for scope mounts...the most common is the side mount, similar to the M14 scope mounts. Sling attachments are also commonly available for the MIni.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bought firearms for different purposes, and I rarely bought the cheapest weapon for the job, but often used the circumstance to buy a "particular" gun. Mini purchases are often like that (I know mine was).

Congrats on the Mini purchase. There are several different options for scope mounts...the most common is the side mount, similar to the M14 scope mounts. Sling attachments are also commonly available for the MIni.
Thanks. I took it to the range last Friday. Set up at 100 yards with just Iron sights. I had about a 5-6” spread on 80 shots. With a couple of just bad shots. It’s not about the math for me. .223 is less expensive. Will it pay for the gun. No. Will I enjoy it? YES!!!
My .308 is a great gun. Probably better than the mini. But I really like this mini.
I own 6 rifles. I’ll probably buy more. I enjoy shooting, hunting, cleaning and collecting guns. I hope every one gets what they want. Happy shooting guys. I’m 60 and been shooting since I was 12 with my dad. I was handed down a 1906 .22 that still fires to this day. So enjoy them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So since I bought the mini. I’ve ran about 800 rounds through it. I’ve noticed that after the barrel gets hot the accuracy falls off some. But man that thing will run. Not much kick. I bought a VX Freedom scope and love it. Easy to take off, if needed for cleaning the gun. I bought an Otis bore snake cleaner and use it after every trip to shoot. I break it down to fully clean it after firing more than 50 shots.

I’ve got a PC 9mm, a 308 Scout, AR556, and a 10/22. I bought a 57 pistol and now I want the LCS Rifle. I have a security 9, a Max 9, 1911 45, and the 57.
Enough ammo for all of them. I won’t say how much. But I’ve had to build a special place to stack it all in ammo cans.
I love shooting, and I like every gun I have. If I were to change anything it would be the Security 9 and replace it with better 9mm. I love the Max 9 and use it as my everyday cc.
I bought a range finder, a good target stand and I have plenty of room to shot right outside my front door.
The nice thing about where I live is you can hear gunfire every weekend in all directions. My neighbors all shoot. Lots of Coyotes, Armadillos and Deer.
I’ve been shooting Muskrats in my pond as they are destroying my bank on the pond. So i get plenty of practice and a lot of time cleaning guns.
I’ve seen Fox, Turkeys, Deer, Beavers, Muskrats, Wood ducks, Geese, skunks, raccoons, Mallards and a few cotton mouths and Copperheads. I’ve heard a Bobcat, but yet to see one.
Water Sky Plant Water resources Plant community

1 - 15 of 15 Posts