Mini 14 Rear Sight Screws Get Loose

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by KB8AOB, Jul 10, 2017.

1. KB8AOB

KB8AOB New Member

My Mini 14 is a about a year old and I just love the rifle with one issue. Every time I fire about 50 (223) rounds in the two tiny set screws plus the mounting flat head screw on the rear peep sight become loose. I have to retighten the entire unit (after realignment) every time I go to the range. I finally resorted to some "removable" Locktite on the three offending screws and a very small dab on the set screws worked but not the main mounting screw for the rear sight. So I tried a full drop on the threads of the mounting screw (so much that a bit oozed out the top. It sat in the rifle for a few days then yesterday I went to the range and presto it was loose again after 50 or so rounds.

Question: Should I go for the permanent? Try something else? Maybe just a new screw that might be a tad bigger? Any ideas welcome!

Rich

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would try the red locktite,it's what's normally recommended for sight screws on guns. Years back I had a Super Blackhawk 44 magnum revolver with a scope and the mount screws kept working loose after awhile,once I put some red locktite on them they never did it again.

mrmike7189 likes this.

3. KB8AOB

KB8AOB New Member

Working just fine with the Red! 100 rounds and nice and tight. Thanks.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

S&W Victory 22lr has problems with the sight screw and the barrel mount screw coming loose. What many tried and said it worked was to put a #6 o-ring on each screw that was coming loose. Try the o-ring fix if the locktite fails. You might also try using a star washer on the screws if the o-ring doesn't work.