MINI 14 at the Range

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by mulescj8, Nov 2, 2016.

1. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Spent several hours at the range today tuning on the Ruger mini 14 today still not perfect but happy with it so far. It's fun to shoot and I ran about 150 rounds thru it today. Using a nikkon 3-9 buckmaster II scope, decent but my old eyes would do much better with a 3-12 power or better.

Most of the tunes If seen online have the damper about 2 to 2 1/2 rounds in with about 1" of the barrel sticking out which I tried but my MOA was about 2 1/2" at 50 yards with that setting. Mine is the only target model I've seen with a strut installed so that may have something to do with my tune. My damper ended up being 2 turns out from flush with barrel, so end of my barrel is about 1" behind the end of the damper. NOTE: strut pic here is not the one on this rifle but is here for visual only. My strut was modified slightly to fit the heavy barrel.

I tried 55gr and 62gr .223 It didn't like the 62gr rounds but I could have tuned it in to suit the 62gr but since it liked the 55gr better that is what I tuned it for.

1st target is my 50 yard tune and the orange bullseye is 3/4" around, put two almost in the same hole so went with this set up, appox 1' MOA at 50 yards. The 2nd target was at 200 yards, think it would have been better if I could have seen it better, it looked to be about the size of spray paint lid thru the scope, I was happy that I got it on the paper..........May have to start looking at a better scope. Gun is more accurate than I am. May play with the tune a little more next time out to the range. Tune is good enough that I'm pretty sure I could take a ground hog out at 150 yards. :machinegun:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Sure looks good to me. You could be pretty sure of hitting anything you need to hit at 200 yards with that.

3. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Thank you was overall happy Next step is to fix the horrible trigger on this thing, think that will help a lot in the accuracy issue also. It's gritty heavy and long. Haven't put a scale on it yet but it has to be somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds. With some polishing and minor spring work should be able to get it down to around 4lbs and it should smooth it out. :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's darn good shootin Mule,

You need to bring it over and let me shoot it.;)
    I like shootin a good accurate rifle..:)

I guarantee that trigger aint helpin much.

What ammo was you using? Factory or reloads.
    what is the rifling twist?
    I'm bettin its 1:9, cuz it dialed in the 55 grn.:Cooltu:

Aint it fun though?

Jim

5. spikedriver

1:9 twist must be perfect for the 55gr .223. My AR shoots most any 55gr hunting bullet better than 1.3 MOA. At 190 yards, Hornady 55gr8 SP factory loads shoot under 1 5/8" groups. It won't shoot anything from 60 gr or heavier into less than 2 MOA. Apparently you gotta have a 1:7 twist for that. I tried 69gr match ammo with Sierra bullets once...it looked like a buckshot pattern on the paper.

6. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Thank you! Think more luck than skill lol I was just tickled I hit the target. Jim when I get the trigger smoothed out and do a little more fine tuning on it your welcome to shoot it. Might even give me an excuse to make a run up there one weekend lol If I do tho you know we will have to shoot more than one gun lol:rolleyes:

Twist is 1-9 on the target rifle and I think all the newer models are 1-9. Spike driver I had the same issue with the heavier bullets the MOA really spread out on it. I'm glad it likes the 55gr because that is what I have the easiest access to.

The ammo I was using was Wally World .55gr Federal 100 round bulk packs. It's about the only thing I could get local without making an hour and half trip to Academy or Gander Mountain.

7. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Hi mulescj8,

I found that no 2 Mini 14s tune the exact same way. I was thinking of creating or finding a chart or table a few years ago to remove some of the guess work but it would be useless in reality. I did find that higher quality ammo did result in easier tunning. Not a ground breaking discovery when you think of the consistency your paying for. I found a bunch of Zmax on sale and stocked up. It is one of my rifles favourite flavours. Lol, the green tips always make people do a double take at the range.

62g was the same with me.

Have fun!
    Chris

8. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Would be interesting to see where everyone's tunes ended up and what type of ammo they were using. Mine may change if I step up to better ammo, who knows. I started out moving my damper in 1/2 turn at a time and went all the way till it bottom out. It got worse the more I moved it down the barrel so I started moving it out to were it's at now. figured 1" MOA and two rounds in the same hole was close enough for now.

9. sirhc

sirhc New Member

I'll have a look at the box when I'm home but I think its 55g. 3240fps? Can't recall. I believe it's identical to Vmax. Only with tips that seem to remind some guys of tracer rounds. I think my balancer is not as far past the barrel.

10. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Have you done a trigger job on yours? I know it would be a much better shooter with a smooth and much lighter trigger.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Nice shooting Mule!

12. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Thank you!

13. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Got the call yesterday that my trigger is done and on it's way home! it should be somewhere between 3 1/2 to 4 pounds now, also had set and travel stop screws added to shorten the travel and limit how much travel it has after the bang. To enhance the trigger feel had a wider finger pad added to increase trigger area for a lighter feeling trigger.

I also ordered a safety enhancement that wraps around the trigger guard so safety can be accessed from the right side of the trigger guard without reaching thru the trigger to flip the safety off.

Also picked up a new Vortex Scope last week for it as well. 4-12x44 crossfire II.

I'm excited to get it home and get to the range with it!

14. spikedriver

I didn't know a Mini's trigger could get down to 4 lbs. That will definitely make a difference.
    You'll have to let us know how it shoots! I'd love to know how it does with ammo like American Eagle black box Plastic Tip or Hornady V-Max.

15. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Should be home sometime early this week and weather and work permitting will get to the range to run a few test on it. Here is the link to trigger job.

http://www.mini14triggers.com

16. richr

richr Member

Interested to read your review of the trigger job to help me make the decision to get mine done or not.

17. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Will keep everyone posted on it. Looked at weather forecast for the rest of the week for my area and it doesn't look to great for my day off but we will see.:(

18. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Got my trigger back today! Here are my first impressions of dry firing it.

1. The extra wide trigger pad gives a full positive feel on the finger.

2. There is no slop in the trigger and extra travel is gone.

3. Break on the trigger is VERY crisp and short reset feels to be about 1/8th" to 3/16th".

4. Gritty feel seems to be completely gone.

5. Safety is very positive when it engages and disengages.

6. The wrap around safety is nice, it can be engaged from either side of the trigger guard without reaching thru the trigger.:D

7. Trigger pull feels to be around 4lbs but will have to check it when I have time to gage it.

Will check back when I can get a day to take it to the range and try it out. I would expect some improvement in the accuracy just due to the crisper lighter trigger and shorter reset.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  19. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Got the vortex scope mounted today and checked the trigger pull and it's around 4.5lbs. Some where around 4lbs and several where around 4.6lbs so a big improvement over the factory trigger. Think after a little use and wear it will get a little better. Trigger was dry and I haven't lubed it yet.

20. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Update

Ok finally got to the range today with the new set up:D Trigger is awesome for a mini14, pretty happy with it. I ran 100 rounds thru it without a hick up and got the new Vortex scope dialed in pretty close, will fine tune it next trip, barrel got to hot to fine tune it:rolleyes:

Here was the 97th, 98th, 99th and 100th shot. Had one flyer that was my fault, bumped the stock with my free hand about the time I pulled the trigger. Barrel was HOT target looked liked it was moving looking thru the scope.

After I got it scoped it and barrel was cool I put 30 straight rounds thru the spot target at 60 yards.

Attached Files: