Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 186 series Mini-14 that from day one had issues running rounds with promag magazines, but shoots fine with factory mags.

I know of a few more folks that have this same issue.

I was wondering who has success with after-market mags in the earlier series rifles?

Has anyone had any luck tweaking the Promag steel mags to run reliably?

I love this gun, but it is one of the few mag-fed weapons I have, or have had, that sucks with aftermarket mags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 186 series Mini-14 that from day one had issues running rounds with promag magazines, but shoots fine with factory mags.

I know of a few more folks that have this same issue.

I was wondering who has success with after-market mags in the earlier series rifles?

Has anyone had any luck tweaking the Promag steel mags to run reliably?

I love this gun, but it is one of the few mag-fed weapons I have, or have had, that sucks with aftermarket mags.
There are several things you could do. First as was suggested, buy some Ruger magazines, but they are hard to come by at this time. However, I recently bought some from this vendor.

You can also try to improve the mags you have. I have found that there are three common problems with mags. Bad feed lips, a weak spring or a bad follower.

You can obtain a Ruger mini 14 follower from Midway USA.

You can purchase stronger springs from both Midway USA and Sunflower Outdoor Sports.

The mag lips can be repaired, but it is difficult to do without a good (Ruger) magazine to use as a template to see what is the problem.

I hope this helps. FWIW - I'm on my fifth Mini 14, a 580 model.

Take care and stay safe

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are several things you could do. First as was suggested, buy some Ruger magazines, but they are hard to come by at this time. However, I recently bought some from this vendor.

You can also try to improve the mags you have. I have found that there are three common problems with mags. Bad feed lips, a weak spring or a bad follower.

You can purchase stronger springs from both Midway USA and Sunflower Outdoor Sports.

The mag lips can be repaired, but it is difficult to do without a good (Ruger) magazine to use as a template to see what is the problem.

Take care and stay safe
Correction on the link for the factory Ruger Mini magazines that I purchased.

The link I posted shows a Ruger marked 30 rd magazine, but at the bottom of the ad show it to be a Pro Mag.

Sorry for the confusion.

Take care and stay safe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Take care and stay safe
Thanks for the good info and links.
I have new followers I got from Midway for my aftermarkets (via an earlier post) and I have a good Ruger mag to use as a template...thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mags for the Mini 14 are hit or miss....I have gone through several brands including some Ruger 10 rounders that were so bad I sent them back for a refund. Even factory mags have issues. The Ruger 5 rounders that came with my 584 series work great. My Federal ordnance and PMI mags also work well. Good luck folks. Its been trial and error and when you find what works, keep them. The others just end up in the trash!

·
Registered
16 Posts

Take care and stay safe
I just bought 4 20 rd mags from Ruger.com

·
Registered
16 Posts

Take care and stay safe
Thanks for that info! I have 6 mickeymouseassmadeinchinawalmartbullshit magazines that I got on close out for $3 each. Figured it be no loss if they didn't work out. They didn't. They fed and the rifle cycled fine, but when I removed the mag for reload the bolt would slam forward. It's not exactly a "combat rifle", but could be used as such and that extra time could be critical. I ordered 4 20 rd mags from Ruger and they worked as designed. The follower is definitely different between the 2 brands, so I just ordered the 6 followers that you referenced. Only $3 and change each, so cheaper than chucking and replacing the mags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first 3 Very used Ruger-brand 30-rd mags I bought during the 1994-2004 AWB era all malfunctioned, and all needed new springs. Since then, they're 100% GTG.

If a mag malfunctions, consider trying a new, GTG spring. Always good thing to have spare mag springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts