Ruger Talk Forums banner

Mini 14 20/GB Barrel stabilizer

967 Views 9 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  RIBob
I am new to this site. I own a Mimi 14 20/GB. I wanted a barrel stabilizer at least 5.5 inches long. None are available so I made one that did not require altering the front sight that has the bayonet lug. First I made one with a wood dole. Used the measurements to grind a hole in an Accu-Strut. Remove the Accu-Strut to return the mini back to original condition.

1674480122990.jpeg
Rectangle Wood Metal Composite material Font
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
The question is: Does it shoot noticeably better after installing your modified strut? FWIW, the designer/maker of the Accu Strut has said that the dual clamp versions are a lot more effective than the shorter single clamp units.

If your Accu Strut is hollow, cutting it as seen in the pic above might weaken it and allow it to flex. Suggest packing-in some epoxy "Plumber's Putty" at the modified portion, and perhaps following along inside the hollow portion of the tube a bit to reinforce it and prevent its bending. Pack it in tightly and be quick about it as the stuff sets up hard as a rock and rather quickly.
I have not done it yet but i am considering using black calking that can with stand temperature to 470 degrees Fahrenheit to seal the small area open at the hole. I also may fill the empty tube forward and behind the hole with J P weld to strengthen it if it appears to flex. The hole is small enough that I don't think it will cause the Accu-Strut to flex. Accu-Strut sells one Strut that is full of holes, so one hole should be okay.I posted two pictures. One would not open. Here are two more. Y
Bicycle part Auto part Nickel Metal Pipe
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Metal Engineering
ou can see that the Accu-Styrut only has a small hole on the top. So, the sides should with stand flexing.
See less See more
I forgot to mention I have not test fired it yet with the Accu-Strut installed. I hope to get to the range soon.
Suggest filling area surrounding the cut with epoxy in order to eliminate possibility of the rod bending at that point.

Accu Strut "Drilled" version has holes, yes, but outer circumference is still "intact" and is fairly rigid nonetheless. Unsure how rigid your modded unit will be in comparison. Your call, and all best wishes.
I will post again after I get to the range. I do appreciate suggests, Thanks. I did consider a Mo-Rod which is solid. But I would have to have removed as much metal as I did the wood from the one made from wood.
The question is: Does it shoot noticeably better after installing your modified strut? FWIW, the designer/maker of the Accu Strut has said that the dual clamp versions are a lot more effective than the shorter single clamp units.

If your Accu Strut is hollow, cutting it as seen in the pic above might weaken it and allow it to flex. Suggest packing-in some epoxy "Plumber's Putty" at the modified portion, and perhaps following along inside the hollow portion of the tube a bit to reinforce it and prevent its bending. Pack it in tightly and be quick about it as the stuff sets up hard as a rock and rather quickly.
I finally got to the range today. I shot off hand, no bench rest. As I am 80 years old. I am happy with the results.
Tree Art Circle Font Handwriting
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I'd say that was a definite improvement. Congrats!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts