MilSpec baloney?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by buster40c, Jul 9, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I sometimes read of people asking if someone's new gun is MilSpec and I wondered what are they referring to. DUH! It didn't dawn on me that it was referring to military specifications production. I never was in the service as you can tell by that.

I came across this article from the NRA in " American Rifleman" magazine. I get what it means now and also that basically no mass produced rifle or handgun for that matter is built to mil spec. Would we be able to afford to buy a mil spec rifle if there in fact are any made for sale to the public? It appears any manufacture claiming their gun is mil spec is doing so for advertising hype of their guns.

It seems to me when gun makers for the most part are even using mim parts along with alloy metals and polyplastic that they sure wouldn't go to the expense or labor making milspec parts for their guns.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/3/18/the-milspec-definition/

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I haven't noticed the 'we build our pseudo M4 to mil-spec' advertisement. It is usually some parts, like the trigger or the bolt or something like. Probably easy enough to do that much.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ I've seen that, but I've also heard it is pretty meaningless to say M4/AR15 parts are "Mil-Spec" because only about 4 or 5 shops manufacture 90% of the parts. So the bolt carrier group in a $750 AR, is the same as in a M4 in a military armory. It most likely came off the same production line...

4. 71magna

71magna New Member

I’ve yet figured out the “mil-spec” buyers in the first place. Those guns are worthless. You can’t hunt with them-they suck in target practice and they’re plain ugly. I predict the downfall of our rights because of soldier-wannabes

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

You can see the difference much more in milspec computers. Alloy chassis and aluminum case, larger & heavy duty fans and more robust connectors. Plus highers specs of RAM and processors.

Sometimes it makes a difference.

Gyrene likes this.
  6. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I'm not sure the guy who wrote that article knows what he's talking about , some of that stuff he's spouting off about seems sketchy at best .
    I'm a civilian and I legally own a milspec 1911.
    Gary

7. 0311

0311 Member

If you own a surplus 1911 then you could make the argument you have a “milspec” 1911, but that does not really matter. The bigger point of milspec comes from the AR world. With all of the different types of steel and finishes that are used for components like bolt carries, bolts, and barrels, milspec is just the standard that is currently used by the military. Having a milspec AR might be good, might be bad, depending on what you want to do with the rifle.

8. 68now

68now New Member

For AR15 style rifles mil spec can actually matter. There are two types of buffer tubes, commercial and mil spec. The commercial have a slightly larger diameter and a 5 degree angle on the back end. If you are replacing the butt stock you need to know which type you have or the new stock won't fit.

9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a civilian "milspec" AR. By definition all milspec is made to fulfill a military contract. There are civilian AR's built to milspec specifications, but they are not milspec.

FWIW, commercial rifles can be, and many are, superior to milspec.

mriffey22 likes this.
  10. DParker

DParker Active Member

If anyone is wondering where the term "Fudd" comes from, comments like the above are a good example.

1) You most certainly CAN hunt with AR-15 pattern (and similar) rifles, and they have become quite popular where it is legal to do so. In fact they are ideal for feral hogs, coyotes, et al.

2) Well-made AR-15s can be very accurate, and they absolutely dominate service rifle competitions, which is pretty impressive for a rifle that "sucks in target practice".

3) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

4) I don't own an AR because I want to play soldier. I own one because it is versatile and customizable to an extent that no other platform can boast. It's also lightweight, fun to shoot...and cheaper to shoot than just about anything other than .22 LR...and, as I said, an excellent choice for hunting feral hogs, which I do frequently.

5) We're far more likely to lose our rights due to Fudds siding with anti-2A activists and parroting their ignorance-based propaganda than we are because of the millions of law-abiding Americans who own the single most popular rifle platform in the country.

68now and Oldhand like this.
  11. 68now

68now New Member

Not quite true. Milspec just stands for military specifications. The specs are public domain so any company can build something to those specifications. They can also use those specs as a starting point and build stronger or weaker. At least with milspec you know the minimum standards it will meet.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Actu
    Actually it is true. And you likely do not have a Milspec rifle, unless you have a select fire M4 built by either Colt or FN, as these are the only two companies building Milspec rifles.

Sure, you could have a rifle with parts built to Milspec standards, but they are not MilSpec. And it's false advertising to say they are. But keep in mind that your non-milspec rifle may just be a better rifle.

13. Steve Blalo

Steve Blalo New Member

Your "sniper rifle" and semi-auto pistols will be the next target. Peons can't be allowed to have guns of any kind.

survivaladvisor likes this.
  14. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

I think people are a little confused by the word and definition of specifications. Everything that is built is built to a certain specification set forth by some standard. The military sets forth a specification as to how they want something to be built from clothing to flashlights to tables and chairs to ships, airplanes, tanks guns etc. if another contractor than the original uses the exact same components and procedures set forth by the military to build a component or an entire product then it is built to military specifications. Is some of the advertising misleading? Yes. But the definition is simply what it is. Sometimes mil spec is better, sometimes it’s worse.

survivaladvisor likes this.