Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1970s Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have not looked at it in person, but definitely will before purchasing. The guy that is selling it admits he doesn't know a lot about revolvers but said a friend told him it has "Gas cutting in the forcing cone. " I don't know much about revolvers either so I was wondering if this would be something to be concerned about? How would I check this? What else should I look for? Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Ruger Forum mobile app

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Take a close look at the forcing cone, some erosion is ok, its been shot quite a bite, if you can actually see gas cutting in the forcing cone, its been shot a lot. This is not uncommon with magnums, just depends on how much its been shot.
Check for gas cutting in the top strap, above the forcing cone. This again will give you a good idea of how much use it has had.

Check the cyl gap, .006 is good, .010 is 0k but shows that its been shot quite a bit.
Check the cylinder for lockup and end play.

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to show my ignorance... What/where is the forcing cone? What is gas cutting?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Ruger Forum mobile app

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hope this helps
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ruger Forum mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I learned what gas cutting was when I laid my 357 Mag on a nylon shooting bag.....The escaping gas from the gap between cylinder and barrel cut a nice hole after several rounds.:D

The gas can eventually cut into the gun's frame and barrel after lots of use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts