Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, I have zero experience with the Max 9, but a good amount with micro red dots. The Holosun 407K/507K would be my pick for the footprint the Max 9 uses. The Swampfox optics are garbage. Shield dots are expensive and not durable enough for me to want to use on a carry gun. I have seen and had problems with Shield dots. The Holosuns have good battery life, I like having the ability to manually adjust the brightness setting, you do not have to remove and then re-zero the optic to change the battery, they won't cost you an arm and a leg, and I haven't broken a Holosun micro-dot yet.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have zero experience with the Max 9, but a good amount with micro red dots. The Holosun 407K/507K would be my pick for the footprint the Max 9 uses. The Swampfox optics are garbage. Shield dots are expensive and not durable enough for me to want to use on a carry gun. I have seen and had problems with Shield dots. The Holosuns have good battery life, I like having the ability to manually adjust the brightness setting, you do not have to remove and then re-zero the optic to change the battery, they won't cost you an arm and a leg, and I haven't broken a Holosun micro-dot yet.

Hope that helps.
That’s kinda what I’ve been reading and my local gun store has been pushing the 507K. Let me ask this, is the HE507k green dot the same footprint?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Green is usually more expensive than red. Maybe PSA is having a sale. I know there is a bunch of research that says green is a more natural color for the human eye to detect than red and that green is better. I am super biased because I have been using red, red dots, and red lasers for so long that my eye is looking for red. If that makes sense. I am not a fan of green. Green dots also almost universally have less battery life and that is a big priority to me. I do not buy any dots that cannot be left on all the time for at least a year. All of the red dots on my normal use guns stay on all the time and I change the batteries on all of them once a year. Maybe green is the way to go for you. I would not say "don't buy it". It's just my personal preference to have red.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No more red DOTS for me. Since I bought a HOLOSUN 509T circle/dot I'll be buying CIRCLE dots from now on. HOLOSUN and SIG are making circle dots that I like and trust.
And I hope many more "red dot" manufacturers quit being cheap b______s and begin giving us all the option of a circle in their electro-optic sights. Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, et al, are you LISTENING?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts