Me and my 375 ruger

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by RCMster, Jul 8, 2017.

1. RCMster

RCMster New Member

Decided to go out and play with my 375 ruger today, in spite of it being 80+ degrees and dead calm. I'm working up a load for an elk hunt, using 250 grain Swift A-frames and H100V powder. At 100 yards, using 78 grains, 3 shots were 15/16 inch c to c. With 79 grains at 100, 3 shots were 1 3/16 inch c to c, but good possibility that I pulled the last shot, and with 80 grains at 100, 3 shots were about 7/8 inch c to c. I'm surprised this rifle shoots this good, even though I've done the basic accurizing steps, to include polishing the trigger and replacing the spring, pillar bedding and action bedding, and barrel float. Can't wait for my mcmillan stock to come and put on final touch.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. It'll probably look nicer, at least. ;)

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

You shouldn't have any problems with that kind of accuracy. Hunting elk, you have approximately an 18" kill zone providing you hit him in the right spot and his adrenaline doesn't kick in. I once shot one at approx 300 yards in Colorado and his got spooked as soon as I hit him. Darned thing ran straight up the mountain to almost the top of the tree line. When I field dressed him, I knew I had a good shot but upon further inspection I noticed that half his heart was blown apart. I was using a Remington 700 BDL magnum with 175gr. Nosler partition bullets. He was dead when I hit him but he didn't know it. Good luck on your hunt.

Tommy

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Those are darn good groups for shooting a rifle with that much kick. Happy hunting!

5. RCMster

RCMster New Member

Spikedriver, I kinda chuckle every time I pull the trigger on that rifle. As I pull it in tight to my shoulder, it doesn't hurt at all, but it sure does rearrange the hat on my head. It just kinda shocks you for a second, and no matter how many times you shoot it, you just can't get immune to it. The good thing is that it has an equally hard thump on the other end as well.

I have shot 2 deer with it, but not with these loads. I was using 265 grain cast bullets and about 40 grains of 5744. Not near the recoil, but it sure knocked the fire out of them 2 deer. I think the 375 Ruger is very similar to the 375 H&H in that they both shoot so many different bullets at various velocities with very good accuracy.