Master chump!

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Nov 9, 2014.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I can't believe a Master Champion is a Master Chump!
    I bought this GP100 Master Champion only a couple weeks ago and after shooting 56 of 38 special and maybe 18 .357 mags this $700 revolver has failed. So much for a revolver goes bang every time. When after three pulls of the trigger or three pulls of the hammer the dang hammer and trigger lock up tight. I see the bottom lock is down and I can move the cylinder to the next locking notch. The trigger nor the hammer can be pulled except maybe a 1/4 of action.
    I had dry fired the gun last night with no malfunction. Today outside I dry fired at the target 6 times then I shot 6 loaded rounds with no problems. I decided to dry fire again to see if I was staying on target when pulling the trigger and dang if the gun didn't lock up on me. The cylinder doesn't seem to have forward or backward play or sloppy tolerances.
    This is one tank of a gun that evidently the tracks have come off of it. I can't tell you how P.I.S.S.E.D I am about this. I never expected this from a Ruger let alone this expensive Match Champion which is supposed to be Rugers competitive answer to Colt and S&W. This gun didn't even make it to 100 rounds before failing. I am so disappointed it is not even funny.
    Ruger will get an unhappy call from me ASAP.

2. buster40c

Checking out the gun I believe it has something to do with the cylinder release. If I open the cylinder then I get the same stuck movement of the trigger and hammer. So it has to have something to do with the center metal tip on the extractor that when the cylinder is closed the tip pushes in the cylinder release pin that locks up the movement of trigger and hammer when the cylinder is released and open. The tip on extractor also when pushed in by the release button moves the front lock up lever back to allow cylinder to open.
    With the cylinder closed and if I push in the cylinder release button then the trigger and hammer are locked up just like the failure I was experiencing. So somehow that release pin or what ever it connects to is where the problem lies. Also if I push in the cylinder release pin with the cylinder open then it resets the cylinder release button and I can then get the trigger and hammer to function correctly.
    Right now I can't get it to jam when the cylinder is closed unless I tap the cylinder with palm of my hand then sometimes it will jam.

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Sorry to hear that your having problems with your MC. Ruger has great customer service....they will send a box for the gun and have it back to you in just days...

4. buster40c

Yep I called Ruger and they are sending UPS to pick up the gun. Now I "might" have to pull the trigger 100 times before it will lock up and now the lock up clears when I let off the trigger. I hope they don't say they couldn't get it to lock up for them.

5. buster40c

Ruger received my gun on Monday 17th Nov. and I received it back Friday the 21st.
    The paperwork said they fit new pawl. I pulled the trigger many times and it did seem like it tried to lock up but it didn't lock up totally like it did before. I guess I will have to keep using it and see if problem is solved.
    I am getting a very visible wear mark on right side of the hammer which I am not liking at all. It seems the hammer has side to side play causing hammer to rub the gun frame.
    Anyone have a MC that is getting wear mark like this on their hammer? This just doesn't seem like it should be happening.
    I got to thinking about this and I believe if my hammer would have had this wear mark I would have noticed before sending it to Ruger. I mean it sticks out like a sore thumb so I am guessing while at Ruger somehow the hammer was mistakenly replaced with a hammer from another gun. Another reason I think this is because I am not seeing any shinning spot on gun frame matching to wear mark location. I have a call into Ruger to see what they say.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. buster40c

I talked with Ruger service and they are sending me a new hammer. She didn't give me any hassle at all and it was her idea to send me the new hammer. I do know from now on before I ever send any gun back to a manufacturer repair center I will have taken detailed pics of the gun beforehand.

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Hope you get it straighten out.....I have not had any trouble with mine, I believe they are fine guns....

8. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I don't have a MC right now but I may have to put one of them on my "guns to buy list" as well.

9. buster40c

When I received my new hammer I removed the hammer from the gun and found one of the hammer shims was missing. I called Ruger and they are sending me another shim.