Marlin rifle, 308 Win.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

This bolt action rifle was also snagged off guy at the gunshow I was at last weekend. It looks much like a poly & blue Remmy 700, probably cause Remington makes it now. It was like new with a 3X9X32 Weaver scope on it & a nylon sling.

Guy only wanted 2 bills for everything. He said it just sat in a closet and he had never fired it. This one was gonna be esay. offered 150 & he took it. Will probably swap the scope out to one of my nicer guns & put a Simmons on this rifle too.

Range repoui soon.

2. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Did you post up pictures?

3. Pancho_Villa

Sorry, no pics.

No wonder the guy never used this rifle. It was 8'' to the left and 4'' too low on my bore sighter grid. Maybe he didn't know how to adjust the scope?

Made adjustments on the grid to where .30 cals. should be. Took it out back and let go a couple of 150 gr. JSP handloads off at 25yards at my Pancho el Cheapo pizza box target. Just normal pressure stuff, not smokin' loads. Two inches low and one to the left. Good enough to move out to 100 yards later.

My impressipns of this rifle would be a bit bias due to my preference for short action Remington 700s. I do have long actions, a Remington 700 & Ruger M77 in .270 cal. Don't use them much anymore cause the length of pull is wrong.

4. armbruse

armbruse Member

Sounds like a great purchase.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  5. Pancho_Villa

Got back to this one today. Left the Weaver scope on it for new. I was going to shoot it yesterday wjen a buddy came over to shoot his FN-FAL .308, but je only brought his handguns.

Didn't have much ammo left. Only 10 factory Winch. and 3 old handloads. Outta .20 cal bullets too. So, I only firred a couple of rounds at 100 yds. Gun was a couple of inches loa and about 1 iunch to the left of center. Gonna make adjustments later and try 2 more Tues. Anyway, I won't miss anything big at that distance. Gotta get it about 1.5" high at that distance for the zero I like. Shots around here or the other rancho would not be over 300 yds.

6. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

Sounds like yoiu have it abut dialed in, and it is accurate enough for any reasonable hunting distances you might have.