Marlin Lever Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by spikedriver, Nov 2, 2017.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My state is now allowing repeating guns for deer hunting, provided the ammo uses a straight walled case, i.e. no shoulder or bottleneck. My LGS has Marlin lever guns in 45-70 and 44 mag for $499. I see I can get them a little cheaper online. I could also use a bolt gun or single shot rifle for hunting deer now. 499 seems pretty reasonable to me for the Marlin. Anybody got experience with bolt guns in 45-70 or 44 mag? I'm just not sure which I'd like better, I'd like to hear some educated opinions.

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike,

When Jim reads this he will give you a complete repertoire on hand and rifle cannons. That guy would fire a bazooka if he could get his hands on one. I remember the old Marlin 39A and that was a good old rifle. I was stupid and traded it many years ago because I wasn't small enough to hold on to it. I don't know how big a deer you have in your area but they are thin skinned so I don't think you really need a cannon.......but that's MHO! Good luck on your choice. Be wise OB1 kanobi.

Tommy

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Spike , $499 is the going price on the Marlin LA 45-70. Not high, but not a steal either.

That 45-70 is a good round in brushy hunting areas ,

More deer are taken in Ky, using a 30-30 than any other caliber, good all around round for 100 yard deer shots.

Either one , in Lever action is nice, but choosing the proper ammo to shoot is critical,

Rubber tips, (Hornady Leverevolution , or Flat nose )is a must in the magazine due to heavy recoil.

Forget about 45-70 in bolt action, really no such animal,(except an 1885 Reminton) , I can't imagine a bolt action standing up to that round.

Many single shots in 45-70, many.

I'm not sure what kind of distances and terrain you would be hunting in.

100 yard brushy, or 500 yard open views.

I have the Marlin GBL 45-70 (paid $500 several years ago)
    The Rossi M92 in 44 magnum,( $500 a few years ago)
    A Uberi Yellowboy in 45LC.($800 a few years ago)
    and the Marlin 336 in 30-30.( not a straight case )(traded for value$350)

I wouldnt hesitate to take either one (and have) here in Ky, for hunting deer.

Marlin.jpg
    rossi 44 mag.jpg
    uberti yb.jpg
    marlin 30-30.jpg

Single shot hunting is a lot more challenge and fun.:):cool:

Jim

4. phideaux

I'm going to hunt with these 2 this year.

22189d1444138276-official-phideaux-2015-thread-.50-cal.-black-powder-pistol.jpg

S&W 460.jpg

Jim

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ ouch!

Iowa land is mostly open. When the rut happens the deer migrate to the few brush areas we have. Shots can be anywhere from 50 feet to 5 miles if you could hit 'em that far. 45-70, 450 Bushmaster, 444 Marlin, and 44 mag are my only real choices due to the straight wall case restriction. (I want something bigger than 357 for this but it would be acceptable.) If I could get my hands on one cheap, a 77/44 with a 4x scope would be good but they're pretty rare around here.

6. phideaux

Spike,
    The 44 mag , ain't in the same ballpark as the 45-70, 450, or 444 Marlin.

44 mag will work OK out to 100 yards, but really stretching it, anything over that.

The other 3 are like 44 mag on triple doses of steroids. , and will reach out farther with deadly force.

I let my grandson use the 44 mag for hunting in our 50 yrd blinds.

Jim

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I'd go with the 45/70. Just raw power and heavy bullets. I can't wait till I get a gun chambered for it so I can work up some special handloads

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I worked up some "special" loads when I owned a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Primer starters they were.

I'd be happy with a 357 or 44 mag out to a hundred yards, and not worry if the range stretched out a few more. 150 yards ain't sporting I think, because I wouldn't be sure of placing my shot for a quick kill. Par took a passle of deer with a 44-40 out of an 1873 Winchester, but at much more than 50 yards he let them run away for another day.

9. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Jim is the Hurt Master when it comes to hand loads for the 45-70:hammer:

I'd go with the 45-70 and use the Leverevolution ammo for off the self ammo. I love the 45-70 round and it's hard to argue with a caliber that has been around for 130 plus years:tiphat:

There is also a huge offering in rifles for the 45-70 caliber. single shot and lever action, short barrel or long barrels take your pick!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017