Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a report on that Marlin 783 .22 mag
I finally got to see what it can do.

So I park myself at 25 yard line, loaded up 8 Winchester SuperX 40 gr JHP,191o fps.

First shot at a peel and stick 2" bullseye on cardboard to see where the scope is.
12-14" low and 2" left.
made an adj on scope , 2nd shot 6" low but center on windage.
More adj and hit dead center.
Put last 2 rounds in center. Why only 2 ,you say,
Because the Win Super X is garbage, and 3 rounds out of 8 were DUDS. Good solid primer hits , no detination.
No problems with the CCI.

Moved back to 50 yards loaded 6 rounds of CCI 40 gr JHP varmint 1875 fps.

Never touched the scope again , and all 6 rounds were grouped 3/4" and a tad high. I was really impressed with the accuracy of the rifle and the CCI ammo.
I did a little plinkin at 1 1/4" wind chime tubes and some orange clays. FUN

I do have a problem with ejecting the empty cases, not every one, but at least 1 out of 3 times, it pulls the empty all the way back but doesnt eject it. If I wiggle the bolt forward and back a little , then it pops out. I will look into this .

Next outing will be at 100 yards

100_4900.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Hey Fido,

Those are some good shootin; guns. I had a couple of them in the past. Right now I have the Mod 882SS. The stainless version with the detachable box mag on the bottom.Sounds like a little slop between the bolt and ejector. I can see the one on mine throught the ejection port and through the mag well. Probably just needs a tweek there.'

I had a similar gun the 917V in the 17 HMR that did the same thing yours is doing. It had a bottom feed mag. I never really used the gun much except to punch paper cause I would always go for the .22 mag. Sold the gun before I actually tweeked it. It worked. Ya just had to wiggle the bolt like you said.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Didn't your wife tell you to quit shooting her wind chimes? LOL

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Good shootin' Jim...

The .22 magnum is a great overall round...from plinking cans to hunting small game.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the eject problem fixed ,
with a little triangle file, and cutting a little deeper edge ,where the case head slides/sits, so that it got better engagement against the ejector land, and sharpened the ejector face some.

Works perfect now.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't your wife tell you to quit shooting her wind chimes? LOL
I finally convinced her , those things were too noisy on the back porch...;)

Cuz I wanted to hang them down on the range.:spot:

They are 1 1/4" in dia and different lenths , and sound good when .22 hits.
FUN !
They have held up very well, even against 7.62X39 .

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This little gem came thru again this week,

I looke out the kitchen window, toward my garden, seen a big ole rabbit sitting at the rear corner of the garden.

I know what he is up to.....no good.

I keep this rifle sitting by the back door, just for critters/varmints.

Grabbed it sneakout the door , peeped around the garage, ha! he is still there, its hot, humid, winds are calm.

Now , this woud be about 80yrds, the rifle is zeroed at 50 yrds, but I take the shot at his ear, pulled the trigger.....and

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
you missed? lol I know better than that.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I better fess up,

Did I miss?....Nope.

That hare never knew what hit him.. just below the ear entry , just below the other ear exit.

Too many folks unde rate the little .22 magnum.

Im a believer in it.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts