Marlin 60 & High Stnadard .22s

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Just a couple of old rifles I picked up at a gunshow over the weekend. Son and I were there both days working a table. Kinda slow all weekend, but got enought to report on so Phidough won't be bored.

Got these off a guy that I swap stuff with. He needed some cash for a new gun and wanted a bill for each one. Both had average wear. He said the Marlin was o.k., but I had to go get the High Standard out of his truck. He would not bring it in the show. He said it had just stoped working and he could not figure out why. Figured no one but me would buy it like that.

The Marlin was an old Mod 60 sold by Western Auto. Marked West Field, it was clean, nice blue average stock wear. Told the guy I was taking too much risk on the non workng High Standard. So I offered 50 each. Settled for 60 each. Other gun was just as clean, even better looking stock.

[​IMG]

Shot the Marlin. Worked fine. Didn't get to shoot at a target, just out the back door. Receiver had a bit of fiinsh wear and the trigger guard appeared to have been stipped with paint stripper. A little semi-flat black took care of all that It fed the Fed bulk pack stuff like crap through a goose.

Now the other one was a J.C. Higgins/Sears/High standard rifle. The action was sluggish. Put a few rounds in it and it would not lift them. Dropped the trigger assembly and the problem was obvious. It had a .22 magnum round stuck in the action. After getting that out, it too fed the Fed bulk pack stuff like crap through a goose. This gunis the one with the forend wood that comes all the way back to the rear of the receiver. Neat old gun. well, made from the mid 50s to 85. Most likely a Model 30 High Standard. There were alot of simiar ones in various grades. It has a tiny, but cloudy scope that still worked and was zeroed.

Wish I coulda done a better range report on these 2, but it was cloudy and rainy. Cold too. Ain't use to that is south Texas. Just fired this one at a pizza box and it hit right over POA. Couldn't even see the iron sights on the Marlin. Took them back to the show on Sunday and someone liked the Marlin way better than I did. Well enough so that I am into the High Standard for a negative 15 bucks.

[​IMG]

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Those older semi-auto 22's were some of the best ever made in my opinion.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Keep up the good work Pancho,
    those old .22s are great shooters,and FUN.

Jim

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member