Marlin 336 report

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by phideaux, Apr 18, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I did get the time to do some shooting yesterday with the Marlin 30-30 , that I traded for a few weeks ago,

When I first shot it back then , it was shooting ,with open sights, (I removed the scope) 8-10" high at 50 yards.

So I ordered a new Marbles fiber optic front sight at .410" tall, the original was .300" tall.

Man my eyes just are too fuzzy at 50 yrds, but anyway, I had the rear sight moved up a couple notches , and fired my first shot, at the head of the silhouette,

It was about 6" low.. and 1 1/2" to right. At least now its not 10" high.

So after adjusting the rear sight up, and drifting both front and rear sights to get POI to POA. Now that's a pain, its more or less a guessing game ...taping those sights left and right.:eek:

I finally got it where I wanted it.
    AND....decided that with my vision , being what it is, I will suffer the embarrassment of mounting a scope on my beautiful lever action rifle.:eek:

You can see the first head shot , then I moved to center and worked it out to get a center shot.

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Good job! I'm with you on the fuzzy sights. I can't focus the front and rear sights at the same time. Stuck with using a scope also.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are a lot of Marlins out there with scopes on them, because the scope can be mounted on top. The very existence of the Winchester Angle Eject is evidence that a significant number of folks like a scope on their lever action, eh?

A lever .30-30 or .32 Special seems like a good candidate for a fixed-power scope. They tend to be shorter, less incongruous to the aesthetics of us 'country' folks.

4. phideaux

yeah, your right , I see a lot of lever guns with scopes,
    Hunters almost always have them mounted, and yes a fixed 4X, probably.

Its just not period accurate for those beauties....but I may just leave it...because I aint gonna hunt with it.

Probly aint gonna shoot it much anywhere.:rolleyes:

Just dint have a 30-30.;)

Jim

5. gumpy

gumpy New Member

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Could have gotten a 30/30 TC with 10" barrel, had one once it was a hoot. Had a scope on it too.:D

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

One of my old bowling team mates had one of those. He thought it was a hoot too - especially shooting at night

8. hodge

hodge New Member

My dad recently gave me a 94 Winchester 30.30 (made in 53), which I hadn't had a chance to shoot, yet. A young man that used to be in our youth group called and wanted to get together today to shoot (he had just bought a Swiss K-31), so I figured it would be a good time to put a few rounds through the 94. I appreciate the rifle, but I've been used to Henry's- the lever action just isn't too smooth. Could be the gun, too. I had my Marlin 336 (72) behind the truck seat, so I got it out and ran some rounds through it. Much smoother- I do prefer the Marlin. Levi and my daughter Sarah, who had also come with us, both agreed that the Marlin was nicer.

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

How about a peep sight, Jim? A Williams or a Marble would both look right and be easier on your eyes. I can't see a notch to save my life but I can use peeps quite well.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ That's the solution right there ^^^

11. phideaux

Yes.....
    That would solve my problem , even out to 100 yards. They are amazing how they work.
    They even have stick on apertures, you can stick on your glasses to replicate an aperture.
    Or you can punch a hole in black electrical tape and use it.

I have the Williams Rear aperture peep sights and their matching front sights on several of my big bore rifles , and I do love them.

I just got this gut feeling.....that this is not going to be a gun I'm taking to the range very much.:rolleyes:

I love my 45-70s and those go to the range a lot..:)

So, do I want to spend $75 on a peep..? I gotta think it over.

But thanks for the input.

Jim

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I had bought 4 Winchester 94 .22cal at a gun show. They were less than $200.00 a piece and this guy had some financial problems and had to unload them. They were NIB and were superb. Big old dummy me ended up selling all of them and never took the time to even shoot them. I do love a lever style rifle but it's the old stigmatism that they have to be open sights. You see a lot of them with scopes now so it ain't no big deal to have one. I say it's each to his own. Good luck with it and enjoy the heck out of it.

Tommy