Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shooting my new Mark IV Target this morning and after only 12 rounds the bolt seized and wouldn't retract. I was finally able to get it retracted after applying a lot of force - the chamber was clear and no spent casing in the breech. I fired a few rounds afterward with no problems. Could this issue have occurred because I didn't clean and lubricate the pistol before use?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Welcome to the R/T Stranger !!

When you find the time, stop by the Introductions sub forum and tell us a little about yourself and your Ruger firearm(s)

As far as your question:

"Could this issue have occurred because I didn't clean and lubricate the pistol before use?"

Me thinks the answer is a resounding Hell Yea !!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It's always a good practice to clean a new gun before shooting it for the first time. Reading your manual is the first action you should take with a new gun. While having the gun apart it is a good time to check for any possible defects that could cause problems shooting.

My MKIV only has jamming problems when I shoot one type of ammo which my SR22 has no problem shooting. Go figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just cleaned and lubricated it and I couldn't believe how much smoother the actions are. I'll find out next week if this was the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Hi George. The 'clean&lube' thing is a pretty big deal with a 22LR autoloader. There ain't a whole lot of energy available to move the bolt, which means that the rebound spring ain't real muscular either. I don't quite get what your situation was though; nothing in the breach or chamber with ammo in the mag?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi George. The 'clean&lube' thing is a pretty big deal with a 22LR autoloader. There ain't a whole lot of energy available to move the bolt, which means that the rebound spring ain't real muscular either. I don't quite get what your situation was though; nothing in the breach or chamber with ammo in the mag?
The mag still had eight rounds in it. It was almost impossible to pull the bolt back using the "ears"; had to use extra strong grip and muscle to get it to move. When it finally opened the chamber was clear.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
The mag still had eight rounds in it. It was almost impossible to pull the bolt back using the "ears"; had to use extra strong grip and muscle to get it to move. When it finally opened the chamber was clear.
That's my problem, George. I gather that you started with a full (10 rounds) mag, fired two rounds, then the bolt stuck. What happened to the spent case? If the bolt opened and ejected the spent case, then closed and stuck, it hadn't fed the next cartridge?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What happened to the spent case? If the bolt opened and ejected the spent case, then closed and stuck, it hadn't fed the next cartridge?
I think it ejected the spent case but didn't feed the new cartridge - when it was forced open no spent case was found.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Did you drop the mag before you tried pulling the slide back? I have found that when I drop the mag then the jammed round or spent casing will drop out from the mag hole.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you drop the mag before you tried pulling the slide back? I have found that when I drop the mag then the jammed round or spent casing will drop out from the mag hole.
I did drop out the mag but didn't notice anything drop but that doesn't mean that it didn't. Maybe that's where the casing went.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have had that happen before and it is easy for the shell to drop out when eject the mag and possibly not see it fall out, Been there done that.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I did drop out the mag but didn't notice anything drop but that doesn't mean that it didn't. Maybe that's where the casing went.
That scenario works - barely. You dropped the mag, then slowly worked the bolt back, the spent case was unnoticed. The ejector released it from the extractor, and it fell down the mag well. OK. I prefer that the spent case was removed from the closed breech by the 2nd officer of a flying saucer, but your theory is tenable, so the CIA will probably scoff at my theory.

Rats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just got the mark iv target it's a great gun,had no issues with it. the guy's are right keep it cleaned and lube

·
Registered
10 Posts
only problem i had and it was my fault,i went to change the front sight to put my new fiber optic one on and stripped the hex on it,i couldn't get it out,ruger must have put to much loc tight on it,i called ruger customer sevice and they said they would take care of it,they sent me a shipping label and i sent my baby to them,great customer service

1 - 14 of 14 Posts