Mark IV Hunter / Copper plated or bare lead Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Fakum, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Fakum

Fakum New Member

I have a new Ruger Mark IV Hunter (Stainless Barrel), I only use it for target shooting and I'm trying to figure out if I should stick with only copper plated ammo as opposed to bare lead? I know there will likely be differences in opinion's, but I welcome all sensible theories. I go to the range about every 2 weeks and plan on running about 100- 200 rounds through the Mark IV each session followed by a thorough cleaning. The pure lead nose seem to be cheaper and abundant than the copper plated. Thanks for any feedback,

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I shoot both copper plated and lead nose with no real leading or problems from either. I haven't really watched for accuracy differences. Let us know what your range results show.
    Welcome to Ruger Talk.
    You should go to the introduction thread to tell the members a little about yourself and gun interests. New members get off to a better start here on RT when they do that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm all about coated hollowpoints. However I only shoot .22 rifles so I'm getting a little more speed than a Mark IV. Not sure if the velocity loss means anything as far as lead deposits.

5. Fakum

Fakum New Member

Thanks for the tips so far guys, I was not aware of the synthetic ammo,, I did follow up on that link, but I was not yet successful in locating it, even thru ammoseek. I'm guessing it might be a bit to pricy for me but then again, I haven't found it yet,,, thanks for the link though, interesting learn today.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Fakum, do you do any reloading?

Jim

7. Fakum

Fakum New Member

Nope, no time or equipment to do so,,,,

8. AzShooter

AzShooter New Member

I use CCI Mini Mags for most competitions because they are copper plated. I like the power and the lack of smoke when shooting them. They are the most reliable ammo I've tried.

My next to go to round is Federal AutoMatch. These are pure lead. They work very well and have little smoke. Blazer work 100 per cent but smoke like crazy. I can really tell the difference in the indoor range I go to.

My Mark IV will feed anything so I practice with lead uncoated ammo. I sight in with the Mini Mags and keep that sight setting during practice so I don't have to re-sight in for matches.

Hope this helps.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Fakum

I can't answer much about your .22 cal bullets as I shoot mainly .45 cal although I have a couple of .22's. I can tell you though that all I shoot is plated bullets (Berry .45 call .452 size). I do know that some bullets regardless of size tend to have a softer lead than others which can build a lead build up in your barrel so when you are done shooting, scrub down the barrel. I used to shoot a lot of .22 but they were Winchester Super X Wildcats but I haven't seen them in years in the market place. You may consider sticking to CCI's which, IMHO is a good round but as I stated, I just don't shoot much .22 anymore. Good luck with your decision!!

Tommy

10. survivaladvisor

survivaladvisor New Member

Try Geco standard velocity target ammo. It CLEANS the batrel as you shoot!

11. survivaladvisor

survivaladvisor New Member

Geco SV target ammo will CLEAN your barrel.

12. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I have always heard that copper-clad bullets foul less, so that is what I have bought mostly, except for Subsonic rounds. I'm not sure if that is merely an old wives' tale, but, they have worked for me.

13. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

.22LR is outside lubed. I wonder how much lead or copper really makes contact with the bore. I can't say I have ever had an issue with either.