mark III or 22/45 lite

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by single5, Oct 21, 2015.

1. single5

single5 New Member

Trying to choose between the Mark III or 22/45 lite.
    Here's the background. I personally have been wanting a 22 to plink around with and would choose the Mark III Hunter or target models. But my wife just told me that she wants to learn to shoot and how to handle handguns. Everything I have is heavy or has much recoil. I am pleased that she wants to learn and thought an enjoyable shooter would be the best starter pistol. So here i am trying to decide between these two. Also as a side note, if this goes well, I definitely want to teach my two young daughters (8 and 10) as soon as their age allows. So, excessive weight will be a minus. Any suggestions from someone who has both or similar circumstances will be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance y'all

2. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

The Mark III (Hunter) is not an excessively heavy pistol. At the same time, however, arm strength is important; and it's not particularly good to practice with a lightweight handgun. If you start a new shooter off by teaching him (her) to be afraid of recoil, or to treat it as something unpleasant then you've just created your own, 'Frankenstein'. Recoil is a force to be managed; and the gun is the tool that you do it with. I always tell students that until they learn how to, 'rock 'n roll' with the gun and recapture that front sight as quickly as possible, they are never going to be genuinely competent with a gun.

Personally I, also, believe that better gun safety habits can be taught with a semiautomatic than with a revolver. Why? Because one of the most common firearm mistakes is for a new shooter, or an unfamiliar shooter, or only a poorly practiced one to forget to properly clear BOTH the magazine, and the chamber together. Muzzle control - ALWAYS KEEPING THE MUZZLE POINTED DOWNRANGE AND AT THE TARGET - and arrow-straight trigger finger discipline are also more necessary to watch when training on a semiautomatic because it's simply easier for an ND to occur.

A revolver might, 'cut a new shooter some slack'; but training with a semiautomatic isn't forgiving; and an ND can happen very quickly. So proper training, and familiarity with the firearm are of increased importance whenever initial training is done with a semi-auto; BUT, it can be done as long as you remember NOT to just go to the range, give a few words of advice, and start shooting.

Not too long ago I was standing behind a public firing line, watching, when a young teenage girl and her grandfather (Who was thoughtful enough to provide her with hearing protection and safety glasses.) nearly shot me in the face with a cocked and fully loaded semiautomatic pistol.

She was really, 'green'; and her grandpa's well-meant guidance wasn't much help. While I was waiting for a spot on the line to open up for myself, I watched grandpa hand her a fully loaded 45 ACP pistol. He, next, gave her a few words of advice before cocking the weapon for her. She immediately aimed, fired, and, voilà, hit the target! (It was, probably, the first shot she ever fired in her life!) The next thing I know she spins around shouting, 'I hit it!' 'I hit it!' as she pointed her muzzle directly at the end of my nose! (I kid you not. I saw my whole life flash before my eyes!)

3. single5

single5 New Member

Hmmm... ok. Thanks

4. Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman New Member

I have the Mark III Hunter with the fluted long barrel and teach people how to shoot with it all of the time. I put a set of Hogue grips on it that pretty much makes them grip the gun correctly. I've also put a Volquatsen trigger and sear in it and absolutely love the setup. I'd say take her with you to pick it out and see what she likes. There's such a huge plethora of Mark III and 22/45 models out there, she's bound to find one that she likes. Just be careful because she may pick out a pink or purple one that you'll be giving excuses to shooting buddies for a long time to come.

5. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I have the 22/45 lite. I have put a lot of rounds down the pipe and really enjoy it. I have shot the Hunter as Phideaux has one. It is a very accurate shooter also but it is just too heavy for me to hold still. I have several mods on this one.

Attached Files:

6. single5

single5 New Member

Beautiful gun! Thanks for the input y'all. I'm going to look at several but am leaning towards the 22/45 Ruger# 10150. I'll let y'all know what I decide.

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

They are both awesome guns....I have both of them, the Lite is great for all day shooting because of its weight. The Mark III is a little heavier but is great for bulls eye shooting because there is no recoil at all.......you will be happy with with either one...

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ravenu I would have been a dodging hoping I made it away from her. I bet the barrel looked as big as a black hole in the universe. For that reason I wouldn't want to start a person out on a semi auto. Simply because like you said an ND is much more likely to happen. Especially if it has an extremely light trigger action.
    Grandpa should have told her the gun is always pointed down range as long as it is in her hand. People should always give safety instructions before ever taking a new shooter to shoot any gun.
    I can sure imagine you were freaked out over that.
    I have yet to see any average size 22lr handgun that the recoil was a problem. I have a Ruger MKII and a Ruger SR22. The MK is more accurate, for me anyway. It is a heavier gun than the SR is for sure. The MKII still is not heavy enough to be any problem shooting a whole box of ammo.
    I am going to get out my 22 guns today and do some shooting. Ya'll got me going now.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. DUNTOV

DUNTOV New Member

Lite

I have had every version of the LITE since they were released, and am well satisfied with them, accurate, well balanced, and reliable. (with a mag safety busing mod, and LCI filler)

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

If your wife & daughters are going to be shooting it then it's a no brainer to choose the lite model! A lot of time they as beginning shooters don't enjoy it as much if trying to hold a heavy handgun up. It won't have enough recoil to be an issue anyway. I teach people how to shoot a LOT (trainer at the local gun club) and I found best results when introducing them to shooting if the handgun don't have much recoil and not heavy.

11. single5

single5 New Member

Thanks guys for the reply! I knew I could count on y'all :) I had the chance to handle a few mark IIIs and 22/45s. I really like the lite model. I am leaning towards that one unless I find an extremely good deal that I can't pass up. Keep ya posted

12. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I got my 22/45 mk 3 target before they really came out with the lite version. I love it and with the additions I have added (mag disconnect, slingshot mod and volquartsen sear, and red dot) it is fun to shoot, easy to clean and I am really deadly with it out to 25 yards. However, I am older, and had there been a lite I would have got that instead. JMHO, get her the lite, she (and therefore you) will be happier.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I'm going to be buying a MK3 22/45 in the near future and the ONLY reason I won't be buying a Lite is the current manufactured version has only a 4" barrel and the "regular" plain jane 22/45 has a 5.5" bull barrel which I like and the heavier muzzle and longer sight radius makes it steadier to aim and more precision with the iron sights. The 1 I had I could drive nails with it at 7 yards (have plenty of witnesses and a bunch of them have me doing it on video in case of doubters!), and the fact that the plain versions without replaceable grip panels run on sale locally from 239$ to 259$.

14. ccryder

ccryder New Member Lifetime Supporter

I have both Mark II/III (Bull barrel stainless) and three 22/45 Lites. My Wife and Nephews really like the 22/45 Lites because of the weight, ease of use and low recoil. I have added a red dot and that aids in the ease of use by less experienced shooters.

I have added a Volquartson sear and hammer bushing to remove the magazine interlock.

The Mark II/III and 22/45 models are pretty much "bullet-proof" and with minimal upkeep, they will shoot for a long time.

15. dogkinkead

dogkinkead New Member

Choice

Uh..why don'cha take your wife to the gun shop and let her pick up both, get her input on what feels best in her hands? I think it would also get her more involved with the whole learning to shoot thing.

16. JRH

JRH New Member

I purchased the 22/45 lite about 2 months ago. My wife wanted to learn to shoot. She had never fired a gun in her life. I have hunted rifle and shotgun but never fired a pistol myself so after a lot of research we picked the Ruger 22/45 lite. We both love shooting this gun. The trigger pull is a little heavy so it took a few times at the range to get used to it.
    You can not go wrong with a Ruger. Go to the store and pick one out that feels the best in your hands and start shooting. Good luck and have fun.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I worked at an indoor range for several years, ladies turning around with a loaded gun after hitting the target for the first time is not uncommon. I may have told this here before, if so sorry. When my grandfather taught my aunt to shoot he wasn't sure if he should use the BB gun or the 22lr. He used the BB rifle and she did so well he got up to go get the 22lr; she shot him in the butt, he never got the 22 and was glad he had started with the BB rifle.:D

18. single5

single5 New Member

Sorry guys! Been busy and haven't given an update. We went with the 22/45 lite and added a bushnell first strike mini rectile sight. Sweet shooter thats for sure!