Mark III Magazines feeding problem

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rahins, Sep 20, 2015.

1. rahins

rahins Sig Guy

I have a brand new Mark III, came with 2 mags, bought one more. They won't feed properly. When loaded with 10 rounds the spring will not bring up the next roung when fired. After about 4 or 5 rounds are manually brought up they it feeds ok. Called Ruger, they replaced the 3 magaznnes, but same problem with the 3 they sent me. Does anyone else have this problem?:(:(

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend on mine has an old High Standard that had problems feeding to the point he was going to take it back for a refund. Somehow he found out about bending the top metal tabs on the magazine. He did that and his feeding problems were over.
    Search magazine repairs for your gun. I found this info on ar15.com. This might be your solution. I have seen this happen with my Kimber before.
    Quoted from ar15.com.................
    Well that's timing! I have a Mark III Hunter, IT sat in the safe for about 1 year because I couldn't stand the rear sight on it! I figured out that the rear sight on the Mark II Target and the Mark III Hunter are identical - except for the blade itself. I FINALLY found somebody that had it in stock last December and I swapped it out then.

Took it out to the range the other day, ran maybe 2 magazines - Federal 36gr hollow points - through it when it started messing up too! It would fire 2 or 3 rounds then 'click' Open the bolt, empty chamber, but it didn't strip the next round out of the mag. Let the bolt fly forward, 'click' WTF?!? We take a closer look at the next round in the magazine and realize that the tip is grooved from being jammed into the feed ramp. Drop the mag, reposition the round in it, insert the magazine, release the bolt, bang! A couple rounds later, the same thing happened. This happened in both the factory mags I had with me. Then the break through! One round jammed, the round missed the chamber and kept going, when I went to drop the mag - thinking for the moment that it was my Mark II - I grabbed the base of the mag AND IT DROPPED RIGHT OUT!!

So we experimented a little and found that 3 out of 4 times inserting the mags, it sounded and felt like it was seated, but we could pull it right out! Our thinking was that the mag wasn't completely seated and when the bolt went back, to extract/eject the spent round, it would depress the magazine slightly - so that on the trip back into battery it would jam the next round into the feed ramp and jam it back into the mag without actually chambering the round.

Anyway, today I took the grips off and discovered that the magazine safety disconnect feature seems to be causing the problem! When the mag is inserted - I'm in the habit of tapping it with the heel of my hand, just like I do with my double stack mags - the disconnect seems to 'catch' it and make it seem like it is seated. In reality it's not QUITE seated. If you give it another sharp rap with your palm, or a stiff push with your thumb, you can feel and hear another click when it actually latches on the magazine release catch.

After wandering around the interwebz today, to see what other folks were doing to solve the problem, it seems that A LOT of people are having feeding problems that they are attributing to their ammo choice and/or bad magazines. And the ammo choices run the gamut from Wally World Federal bulk packs to CCI. I'm wondering if a number of these people are actually experiencing what I described above - but just don't realize it?!? I know I would have been stumped if that round hadn't jammed in there sideways!

On that note, does anybody have any experience with the Majestic Arms 3.2 Speed Strip Kit? Not
    Go to this link and see more about the above info.http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=50&t=111747

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

3. buster40c

Thanks for coming to RT and I think you will find it to be a friendly informative place to spend time learning and sharing.
    Buster
    Here is another link detailing about bending the top of the magazines such as my friend did with his High Standard. You might try this if the magazine seating or mag disconnect isn't your problem.
    http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. rahins

rahins Sig Guy

Finally called Ruger, they said send it back. I did and they worked on it and sent back to me verfy quickly. Took to range today, fired 30 rounds without a problem, then started the same problem. Would not feed correctly, round was jamed at the beginning of the feed ramp. After about 15 or 20 tries and getting the same jamed round quit. Guess I will need to send back again?

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, back it goes.
    After they fix it, it should stay fixed!
    If it was mine I would stick with em till they get it right.
    (Or sell out. I did that onetime but it was a SD type gun I lost faith in after a couple trips back to Ruger).

For a plinker/fun gun, look at it like a hobby. How many trips back will it take before you get something that works!
    Let us know what happens.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to welcome you properly. So, Welcome to RugerTalk from the Texas Coast.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  6. buster40c

I had to send my SR40C back twice before it was fixed. I told them they needed to shoot it more than 25 times because it failed around 100 shots. Last time they had it they reported they fired it 100 times. I just shot over two hundred rounds last weekend with no failures.
    I still believe your problem is caused by the magazine tabs at top of magazine. You might try bending just one and see if it helps. Check out the link above.

7. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!

8. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I was out to purchase a new Hunter series and stopped in a Carter Country outlet in Houston. Found a like new one for sale in the used section for about $175 off new price. Snatched it up and took it home.

I noticed the gun appeared to have never been completely broke down to clean. I surmised due to the difficulty, previous owner decided to not mess with it. I cleaned it up a bit with spray cleaner as I wanted to fire it before complete cleaning to see how it operated.

The gun jammed on the first mag. Nose of bullet hit the firing ramp/ This repeated over the next several mags fired plus the gun had issues ejecting spent shells. Also need sighting in and it was shooting very low.

Bro9ke it down and did a thorough cleaning. Back to range, same issues.

Did some internet research and found there to be others with same issues. Got 2 new mags which worked better. Fail to feeds drastically reduced on the new, but still not right. Emailed Ruger and got nothing from them but send it in. Too many other s did this and no fix, so I decided to try some things suggested by others.

Worked the opening on the mags. Got things to 90%. Feeds right now but the ejection issues is still there. I've bought anew ejector kit with firing pin. Will change that out and take a very close look at the long rod the spring travels on. Some have found these rods to be slightly bent and won't allow spent casings to exit. Rods get bent from casing hitting the misfeeding cartridge. So there are 2 problems actually, 1 caused by the first.

I'm also going to check the issue Buster found as that sounds interesting. As far as I've researched, these issues seem to be isolated to the Hunter model only. Sadly from all I've seen and the response I received, Ruger isn't handling this well.

Anyone with any experience in solving these issues, please let us know the results of getting a fix.