Mark III -- how do you chamber first round?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Redleg, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

This question pertains to the Mark III pistol. After firing the first magazine and the slide is locked back, naturally you insert a new magazine. Query: do most of you pull the slide back and "slingshot" the first round of the new magazine into battery, or do you use the slide release lever i.e. "thumb" it?

2. weblance

weblance New Member

I slingshot every autoloader I own. The Ruger 22 pistols are especially susceptible to bolt, and lever damage, by "Thumbing It"

tiresoles07 likes this.

3. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

I have a charging handle on the end of my bolt so I insert a full magazine, hold down the bolt release with my right thumb and walk the bolt with my left hand not wanting to slam the bolt into the breech face at the same time while feeding the round into the chamber. Just my preference.

4. mark

mark Member

What Weblance says. Will save money on repairs down the line.
    Pulling the bolt back and releasing it has the same effect on the bolt (slide) as firing the gun, none.
    The most damage I have seen fron thumbing the release has been on Colt Woodsmans, but it creates uecessary wear and damage on most semi-autos over time..

5. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

Slingshot. The only way to fly! :D

6. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Yes. I am now convinced of this.

7. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

please help me understand

Ok, please help me understand. I am a rookie to my 22/45 mk3 it is a little different than a regular mk in that it does not allow slingshot (at least not yet!). It seems to me that whether you use the slide release or slingshot the closing force seems the same to me. I have read horror stories that using the slide release will certainly damage the weapon. So what is the real truth here. Do I drop even more money to prevent damage or what? thanks in advance.

8. mark

mark Member

paulkalman.
    The damage when you use the slide release a lot is to the slide release. It wears things so that at some point it fails to catch and hold the slide/bolt open. Bottom line, it creates unnessasary wear to the slide release, or notch that it catches in, or both..

9. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

thanks so much, so basically you are telling me that it causes wear on 2 $8 parts I can easily replace myself. Other than being a logical way to release the slide, the slingshot mod is easily $20 or so. Might just keep my money for a while unless there is some more expensive part that suffers.

10. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have several MkIIs. I do both, but nostly.........

[​IMG]

11. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

regards to how do you load the first round

I just recently noticed that if I move the slide forward after last shot and seat the magazine on my 22/45, then pull back on the slide, it allows me to slingshot the slide. Is this normal? if so will I break anything else by using this method? thanks

12. billt

billt In the army now..

If the slide release damages the gun, why do they put it on so it can be released by the thumb in a shooting position? This is the first I've heard of this.

jmohme likes this.
  13. mark

mark Member

billt
    When my gun is out of ammo and I want to close the slide, I pull the slide back, thumb down the slide release, and release the slide. You can also drop the clip and pull the slide back, and release the slide. You can always thumb the slide release down to release the slide, and maybe never have a problem. Your gun, your call.
    I have shot tens of thousands of 22 rounds through semi autos, mostly Rugers, my way, with no wear to the slide, or slide release. Just me... I have also seen some that had to be repaired from being thumb released a LOT.

14. billt

billt In the army now..

On most every semi I've shot, if you just pull the slide back and let it go, the slide will return to battery. What does thumbing down the slide release do, if it won't catch the slide regardless? I'm not trying to discredit your method, I'm just wondering?

15. mark

mark Member

OK, I think I am a better shooter than I am a writer.
    The only time I use the slide release to close the slide is when the gun is out of ammo, and I want to close the slide on an empty chamber with the clip still in the gun with out any ammo in it. In my case I pull the slide back, hold the slide catch down, and release the slide.
    When there is ammo in the installed clip, I pull the slide back, and release it which chambers a shell.
    Some people when they want to chamber that first shell, instead of pulling the slide back and releasing it, thumb down the slide catch, to release the slide. Thats where the extra wear to the slide catch comes in.
    Anytime on a semi auto loaded or not, you can close an open slide by thumbing down the slide catch. I just don't do it much because of the extar wear and tear on the slide catch and notch in the slide. Just me...

16. billt

billt In the army now..

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

17. Bud33

Bud33 New Member

On my 22/45 MKIII Hunter, I have to pull the slide back and then press the slide stop release to close on the first round.
    This is due to a spring loaded detent pin that holds the Slide stop up. It can be removed and then a simple slingshot will work as the Slide stop will fall due to gravity!.
    If you go to this link there is a detailed set of instructions as to how to remove this pin.
    http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  18. Redleg

Redleg New Member

On my newest Mark III Target if you slingshot the round you also have to thumb down the slide release. Otherwise the gun functions 100% and I am completely happy with it.

[​IMG]

19. ModernRifle

ModernRifle Join the NRA

hmmmm least recommended way. Let her rip like it is designed to.

I'll let you know when mine wears out. I'm not worried and use the slide release regularly.

Practicing one handed one finds that the mag release is quite effective.

20. Redleg

Redleg New Member

After reading the many excellent and thoughtful comments on this thread I am contemplating switching to using the slide release to chamber the first round on one of my Mark IIIs specifically to see if damage results over time. I can always send the gun to the Mothership if need be, and it might be valuable information... :dizzy: