Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 22/45 Target and looking for proven trigger upgrade solutions. This will be a scholastic shooting competition pistol for a youth league. Please provide recommendations. Thanks

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining , and your first post.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Didn't realize I posted this in introductions; should I move it to get better visibility?
You didnt,
I relocated your first post to Introductions.

Traditionaly first post are to introduce ones self.

Your post will get attention here, but feel free to tell us a little about yourself, and then open it up for discussion in a new thread.

Jim

·
Registered
246 Posts
welcome to the forum, lots of nice folks and info here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh; I understand now. I am a former LE with the U.S. Air Force (AFOSI) and love shooting. I am currently forming a new youth competition pistol shooting group in Huntsville, AL, and just got a new Mark III 22/45 to start my 13 year old off. I am normally a Glock guy and not at all familiar with the Mark III. I really like the feel of it but would like to get the trigger upgraded to about 3 lb pull and smooth action. I am hoping to benefit from the long time Ruger experience here to cut down my learning curve. Glad I joined and thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I just did a quick forum search and found several threads relating to triggers on Mark III.

Try the search function.

I seen several referencing Volquartsen assy.

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I read several but didn't see any specifically for the 22/45. I was told there are some parts not needed from the standard Mark III package. I'm thinking of just dropping a VQ sear in but wondering how much difference that makes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks. I read several but didn't see any specifically for the 22/45. I was told there are some parts not needed from the standard Mark III package. I'm thinking of just dropping a VQ sear in but wondering how much difference that makes.
I put the tandemkross bushing in to make assembly easier and I only put in the Volquartsen sear. It made a big difference in the trigger it is butter smooth and I have no idea about weight of pull improvement but it too is significant. I like the trigger so much better now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I have decided to just replace the sear as well but also installing the Kane Wolf slingshot mod. The bolt release is too stiff for my 13 year old to work. I will post a range report soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Texas. I'm actually visiting TX this week for work. My kid asked me to bring back a "don't mess with Texas" shirt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome Bamajoe ,

Not sure how extensive you want to go , but I installed a kit from Majastic Arms. It was said to help with the take-down of the Ruger MK III. Believe they call it "speed strip kit". It reduced my trigger pull , made for a very nice shooting .22 It's not expensive , and you can install it your self.

regards , brushunter

·
Registered
12 Posts
MkIII trigger, etc.

Bama, I replaced the hammer bushing assy. on my MkIII Target with one from Tandem Kross for short money for the purpose of improving the magazine release (so the mag 'pops' out) and found the trigger pull was 2.3#. (Unfortunately did not measure it before the bushing mod.) I replaced the grips with contoured target shooting grips and added a light gathering front sight. I enjoy the MkIII and find it shoots accurately for me.

A buddy had a Volquartsen trigger installed in his 22/45 Lite and the pull is now 1.5# and he is happy with it.

PS: I am a newbie to this stuff. The mag release works great now but I'm still finding the bolt will not stay open on the last round. I purchased 2 new mags from Ruger and guess what: the mag release did not work well at all but the bolt stayed open! I gave the new mags to my buddy. No more mods to the MkIII for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up just upgrading the sear and TK slingshot mod. Also added Wilson Fire Sights. It runs like a dream. Trigger is really crisp and smooth with about a 2 1/2 pull.

However, I also had mag problems prior to the upgrade with the new oem mags. Turns out they were causing the bolt to drag. Swapped them for another set at the store I purchased the gun from and all is well now. I think there must be a bad batch of mags out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts