Mark II

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by OldTexan, Jul 3, 2015.

1. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I saw a used Ruger Mk II for sale for $149 and couldn't resist.

Has the tapered barrel and fixed original sights. I need advice on changing the sights out to adjustable and fiber optic type.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

I shot it on the way home and it functions perfectly and is pretty accurate. Should be a nice project to fix up.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hope this video helps,

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOPuu5tq5X0[/ame]

Jim

3. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Thanks Phideaux....My issue is that my gun has a tapered barrel with a collar on the front. Blade is pinned in. I can change that. But back sight is a press in dovetail and I am going to have to have it drilled.

Looking for experiences on how that model type of barrel is to change sights on.

4. phideaux

Yeah, sorry I missed the tapered barrel part,
    or
    forot ..:rolleyes:

My MarkII is the bull barrel, so I have removed the rear sight , just as in the video. I added a scope.

There should be a DIY way.

Jim

5. mikeg56

mikeg56 New Member

Looks like a good Tactical solutions project!!!

6. phideaux

Hey Mike,
    Welcome to the forum,

Tradition is ,first post is over in Introductions,

Let me encourage you to go over there ,and tell us a little about yourself..

Thanks

Jim

7. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

If it's shooting "pretty accurate" I wouldn't make any changes to the sights. Try a few different choices of ammo and get yourself a bit more familiar to the gun itself and it'll be what it is. :)

8. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

The point of the comment is I can hit what I aim at and I've fired millions of rounds down range through the years to know how to adjust my eye to a gun, so that ain't what I'm after here.....:D:rolleyes:

The rear sight is damaged. Looks like it got dropped and the corner is gouged/grated/galled off like a concrete impact. The front sight also has suffered a bit of the same rash. Plus the old metal sights aren't what my old eyes pick up the best.

It's an older gun in good shape other than the sights and I want to make it better and dress it up with modern sight technology.

I have other Ruger Mark III's and am well aware of how they shoot and own a variety of ammo, as I buy as much as I can find these days, so again that's not what I'm after.

I would just like some opinions on anyone upgrading sights on this type of barrel and what has been good or not worked as well as hoped for. All my other Mk's have had bull barrels and this is a tapered type which I've not worked with prior to this.

9. mark

mark Member

The back sits in a dovetail. Use a brass punch, or a piece of hardwood and drive it out to the right. I don't know at this time if anybody makes adjustable sights for that gun.

10. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm seeing them at Midway and a couple others, but sound like they need a hole drilled for a bolt. Just trying to get some feedback from someone that's done it. If it's just a dovetail mount and the bolt is for adjustment, that will be a good thing.;)

Thanks for the reply, we're getting closer.:D

11. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I despise myself for selling my MKII government model w/Bull barrel. sigh....