Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I gota problem, I need you guys that know the Mark series pistols to tell me about a Mark II Government Target SS.

I have a few Rugers , buy never got a Mark..

I went to buy a 1911 today , (those I know some about), but I stopped by a pawn shop on my way home, and REALLY liked this MarkII.... like NIB.

Is it a good one? What Ive read seems its deadly accurate.
But...is it worth $450

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/74623-mark-ii-goverment-target-ss.html
The link below tells a lot more about the gun.
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/84349-mark-ii-government-taget-model-value.html
From what I am seeing it is worth $500 and up. If it has the U.S. stamp it is worth the higher dollar.
I have an 1972 I believe MKII and the gun is very accurate and without being cleaned for over 10 years it never once had a malfunction. These normal MKII blued with the tapered barrels are going anywhere from $200 to $300 depending condition. The Government Target bull barrel like you are checking on is worth a bunch more and is said to be unreal accurate.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Is it worth $450?
I can't say for sure, but I know that if I had stumbled across it, I would not have had any problem paying that for it!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of Rugers pistols especially the Mark series. I have one of the very first Mark I's when they came out and then went to the bull barrel series and never had any problems. And I put a bunch of rounds through them. If you buy a gun for resale, then I feel you are buying it for the wrong reasons. Now THAT is my personal opinion! However, if you want to do a bunch of target, plinking or just general shooting including hunting small game, I think it's a good deal. Many years ago I used to deal in guns and did a lot of trading. I traded mostly because I liked the gun and not so much what I could sell it for. Did I pay too much for some? Heck yes, but I got my money back by the enjoyment of using it. I can see where a guy can have a lot of fun with this pistol if you can find .22 ammo which is extremely rare here in Az.
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I shoot, I really do like shooting a gun that hits POA.

I have a few that hit close, and thats ok, but they dont get shot much.

I have 1 1/4' dia wind chime tubes hanging in a line on my range at 50 yrds for .22.
I like to hit them when I aim at em, Makes music .:):cool:
I have a Savage 22 bolt action that will ring em at 100 yrds (if Im not shaking too much that day)

I would think that Ruger pistol would be capable of that at 50 yrds.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lost sleep last night....

If you dont know....thats a typical side effet of being an addict...gun addict.;)

Thats usually an indicator that points me in the direction I should go , in my quest for a firearm.

The pawn shop opens at 10 am, Im thinking I might be there about 10:05.

Gotta take one more look.

:rolleyes:

:spot:

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jim,
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had one of these in their counter. It was a stainless, approx. 10" barrel, heavy barrel but it was also flutted. I fondled it. Had a nice trigger. Front sight was a fiber optic and a white straight vertical rear sight. Price on it was $399.00. Don't know if this helps, but I can only tell you what I saw. If I had the money, and I could get .22 ammo, I sure would of considered buying the one I saw today.
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tommy,

I wish you lived nesrby, I got enough 22 for usto shoot for years.

Im probly gunna pickup that Ruger .

We'll see.

jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lost sleep last night....

If you dont know....thats a typical side effet of being an addict...gun addict.;)

Thats usually an indicator that points me in the direction I should go , in my quest for a firearm.

The pawn shop opens at 10 am, Im thinking I might be there about 10:05.

Gotta take one more look.

:rolleyes:

:spot:

Jim
Yep, I didnt sleep good last night ...
Got to thinking about what to put on it for optics, sights, ... its not drilled /tapped. I can make some good lookin wood grips.. do I need to do a triiger job .. will it be accurate..:rolleyes:

I guess because I got a few 19911s , and do not have a Mark II, it excites me a little more , at the moment(see how I leave my options open) at the moment ;)??

Sooooo... I was there at 7 minutes after he opened ... acted like I was more interested in a couple others (which I was , an H&R 676 22 mag for one) told him , "this is Monday morning , first customer of the week, so that dang pencil of his should be extra sharp, 1 hr later , I saved a whole $52 , and left with it for $425 OTD.

Im Ok with that.. lots of guys on Rugerforum and Rimfire are willing to drop 5 bills for one , so I figure I did OK, not great, just ok.

I opened it up and cleaned it good (wasnt dirty) , along with the mags, one mag was a little dirty , the other one hasnt been used. This gun was well cared for and shot VERY LITTLE.

From S/N, mfg date is early 2001, last one was mfg in 2004.

Couple of pics of my new teenager.

http://postimage.org/

http://postimage.org/app.php

http://postimage.org/

http://postimage.org/app.php

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
ha Ha ha I bet you sleep like a baby tonight. Congrats on getting a fine gun not even made anymore. There is no dang way that gun's value will do anything but go up. You just made more interest on your money than your bank would ever give you.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Buster...

I dont like banks ...and dont use them..
Did you know that Ive had problems using cash at times.. yep.

This is just another draw the wife can make when Im growin grass.
Hopefully she can get what I paid for it .+ a little..;):)

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have heard many banks will not take cash for payments on loans. Forty years ago it was said that sometime in the future we would not use cash, we would use a plastic card for money transactions. I guess now they are trying to replace the card with an implanted chip or the latest is people will get a coded tattoo to scan for payments from your account.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did sleep a little better,
buuut, now Im looking for how to mount a small 2X scope on it.

Do I have it drilled and tapped, or find something that works with the existing dovetail of resr sight?

Then I will be considering, grips, buy or make some.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Well I did sleep a little better,
buuut, now Im looking for how to mount a small 2X scope on it.

Do I have it drilled and tapped, or find something that works with the existing dovetail of resr sight?

Then I will be considering, grips, buy or make some.

Jim
Jim,
If you can carve well enough to make grips for that pistol than I have a great idea. My buddy has some real, real old ivory, which is legal to own, and you could carve me some fancy, hooty-tooty ivory grips for my Commander. It's like George Patton said when he was asked if they were mother of pearl grips on his pistol. His replay was "only the mother of a whore house would use mother of pearl". His language was a little stronger than I said it.
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Jim,

For being an amateur carver, you have a very special talent. Those grips are outstanding!!! I doff my hat to you sir. I was simply amazed!!!

Tommy

I second that! Very nice! Don't look amateur to me at all! Beautiful wood! Better than most grips I've seen around for sale.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks,

If I can get motivated , I may get a set made for this pistol.

I have some nice grained pecan,,
Its a medium light colored wood.

Do you think a light wood would lok better on the stainless , or dark wood ?

Jim

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I have always wanted the 5.5" bull barrel version of your Gov model.

For some reason I have to tell myself I have a use for every gun. Then it hit me, handgun squirrel hunting! Yea,Yea, that'll do.
Have used my single six but it makes noise when I cock it. So, I need a MKIII target model.

Was ready to purchase, then 22 ammo shortage. Back to waiting mode. My 22 shooting has to be cheep as I am. LOL

Grips on your pistol? Maybe a light color with lots of gloss.
Or a very dark color to set off the stainless. HaHa, Lots of help am I on that.

But you have a great little gun there. Collectors (us) will go crazy to get them at some point. Makes for a good investment down the road.

Hey, I looked at the 1911 grips you made. Very nice!!!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts