Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first handgun that I purchased new was a Mark I bull barrel with the 200th Year of American Liberty on the barrel.
In 2011 my house burned down and that gun was destroyed.
I have been watching for one like it off and on since then.
I was looking around on Gunbroker a couple nights ago and found this abomination.
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 11.00.45 AM.png

I know they made a lot of them and there's really no significant value over any other similar Mark pistol but why would anyone think this was a good idea?
I'm guessing there had to have been some bad rust or something, but still.

·
Registered
120 Posts
At least it wasn't Cerakoted FDE!!

:rolleyes:

At a Starting Bid price of $499.99 for a two-tone Bicentennial pistol that Ruger never made, that pistol should sit there forever. One can only assume that the finish on the receiver was poor and someone thought it would be a good idea to remove the bluing and polish it. Not.

Over the years I've seen a few similar "customized" guns, and often wondered "What in the hail were they thinking?!" Those who don't have any respect for firearms often do questionable things to them, and going all Bubba-the-backyard-gunsmith on a firearm whether it was in poor shape to begin with just doesn't seem right to most of us who do have respect for firearms.

If I happened upon a Ruger Mark pistol in sad shape and it's price was low enough I'd probably buy it and do the right thing by sending it off to Ruger to have them reblue it for $110. I would consider that a small price to pay to have it brought back to its original luster :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
At least it wasn't Cerakoted FDE!!

:rolleyes:

At a Starting Bid price of $499.99 for a two-tone Bicentennial pistol that Ruger never made, that pistol should sit there forever. One can only assume that the finish on the receiver was poor and someone thought it would be a good idea to remove the bluing and polish it. Not.

Over the years I've seen a few similar "customized" guns, and often wondered "What in the hail were they thinking?!" Those who don't have any respect for firearms often do questionable things to them, and going all Bubba-the-backyard-gunsmith on a firearm whether it was in poor shape to begin with just doesn't seem right to most of us who do have respect for firearms.

If I happened upon a Ruger Mark pistol in sad shape and it's price was low enough I'd probably buy it and do the right thing by sending it off to Ruger to have them reblue it for $110. I would consider that a small price to pay to have it brought back to its original luster :)
I wish I had the same amount of confidence in anything I do as some people have in their backyard gunsmithing abilities. This is what you get when every kid gets told they're "special" and they "can do anything they put their mind to" while growing up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts