Mags ?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by chase, Mar 26, 2016.

1. chase

chase New Member

Got a question I went to Gebo's here in Plainview yesterday looking for .22 ammo while I was there I looked at 1911 mags they had Ruger OEM mags 8rds for 35.99 and Sig. OEM 8rds for 22.99 I couldn't tell any diff. in them other than the Rugers had the Ruger logo on them any one know if there is a diff.
    PS no .22 there but the BIG 5 sports had a bunch of 500 rds. boxes for 99.00 don't know what kind they were I left them there.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As far as I know ....all MILSPEC mags will fit a 1911.

Difference is usually the quality.

Jim

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

$36 for 8 round 1911 mag is just way too much. At least for me.

I can get 8 round Mecgar, the Cadillac of magazines, (at least in my opinion) for under $20 at gooutdoorgear.com .. with free shipping.

Doc

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Are the aftermarket Ruger 1911 mags made by MecGar? I know the LC9 aftermarket mags are, they're much better than the Ruger made mags.

5. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

For the first few batches of the 1911, Ruger used MecGar to supply the magazines.

However, for some reason they switched to and as far as I know, still using Checkmate.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

Doc

6. spikedriver

Are Checkmate mags good? I know MecGar makes good stuff.

7. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I think Checkmate might be the one of only like 2 or 3 I have not tried yet over the years.

After trying so many, I always went back to MecGar . With its silky smooth action, silence (meaning the rounds don't rattle), and reliability.

I have never had a single magazine related (that did not include user error) malfunction with a MecGar mag. I have replaced a few springs due to age, but not that they went bad, but they were and are on some primary defense guns and I wanted new ones in.

And with Checkmate being like $10 - 15 more expensive, just never got around to trying it.

Doc

8. spikedriver

That's a good enough answer for me. I wouldn't buy mags that are more expensive than Mecgar, because they would not be better than Mecgar.