Magazine Problems - BX-25

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by kdmead, Nov 25, 2015.

1. kdmead

kdmead New Member

Having some problems with feeding from BX-25 magazine. The tip of the bullet seems to be below the magazine lips so it won't feed in the 10-22. I don't know if it is the mag or the ammo. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Let me know

Kdmead

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

1st question...have you tried more than one brand of ammo in the mag....!?

2nd question...do you have more than one BX-25 Mag...!?

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Have you tried different ammo? Sounds like the ammo your using has to long of a case length.
    Welcome to the forum! We ask new members to take a minute and pop on over to the introduction section and introduce yourself. :) We like to give a proper welcome and know a little about who were welcoming into the family. :)

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

For .22LR, it's C.O.A.L. that is significant -the case mouth is usually no higher than flush with the bullet O.D.

If the OP has a 10 round magazine handy, bullet orientation can be compared. Those mags are nearly foolproof.

5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Slap the back of the magazine into the palm of your hand.
    Check the follower to be sure it isn't canted incorrectly.
    Try several different brands of ammo.
    Load it two rounds short.

Is it just the first round, or every round?

6. kdmead

kdmead New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried various ammo and some works better than others. Unfortunately, I have dumped several bulk boxes into an ammo can so I don't know exactly what is what. I will do some testing on ammo that is still in boxes so I can figure this out.

I have 4 mags that I was using and all of them were experiencing the same problem.

By the way, when I emptied the BX-25s I had to us a sharp object to lift the point of the bullet so I could push the shell out. The point was sort of laying down in the mouth of the magazine.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Aha! The plot thickens (that's another way of saying I dunno what's going on). My GUESS is: Provided that these are BX-25s and not "Hot Lips" or some other after-market mags, there is something strange about one of those brands of ammo.

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I second that. My guess is case length on one of the ammo's is to long.
    I've run into that a few times before.
    Good luck! Let us know how it's going! Maybe pick one of each ammo and see which is the problem. Then have fun picking the bad apples out. Lol!

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I do a lot of target shooting for accuracy , using .22.

I will measure the lengths (and weigh) each round , and I find a lot of inconsistency in lengths and weights, when using brick ammo, also roll a handful across a flat surface and watch for wobble, you might be surprised.:eek:

If you have a venier caliper , go thru and sort them to groups of lengths and see which ones run the best for ya.

That will also help with getting tighter groups.:)

Just a thought.

Jim

I

10. Skipper

Skipper New Member

The problem with the BX25 feed is the spring.
    Unlike most magazines that push the follower upwards, the BX25 pulls it upward and causes the follower to torque in the tracking.
    This pushes the head of the bullet downwards where it gets caught up underneath the metal lips of the feeder.

Easy and Cheap Fix : buy some 3/16 heat shrink tubing from a store that sells electrical supplies.

Take the magazine apart - 2 screws -

You will find 3 parts; metal feeder, follower and a coiled spring.

The spring slides onto a tab that is located on the follower.

Note how loosely the spring sets on this tab .. this is the problem.

Cut a piece of heat shrink tubing the same length as the follower tab, place it on the tab and then use a hair dryer to shrink it on snug. Do not melt the plastic follower.

Reassemble in the inner pieces. You will notice that tubing acts as a spacer and fills in the gap between the spring and follower tab. The spring should still turn easily on the tab, but most of excess play is now gone.

Reassemble the magazine and test it out.

This should fix the "Not Feeding" problem, However if you are also experiencing ejection failures then this is caused by something else.

A loose fitting barrel on the Take Down model will also cause feeding problems.
    The barrel should fit really snug onto the stock mounting, but should also be removable.
    There is a knurled retaining nut that holds the barrel on. You can turn it counter clockwise a click at a time, this will increase the tension.
    If you over tighten it, simply turn back clockwise a click or two.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I 'liked' this post in my guise as a retired tech writer. It could use a little proof reading, and a smidgin of rearranging, but it's clear and followable..

[Whether or not it works, I dunno. :)]