Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I didn't care for the hard black plastic grips that came on the new Blackhawk in .41 Mag I bought so I decided to make a set. Made them out of walnut and haven't added any finish other than Johnson's patse wax. It's not the first set I've made but hopefully getting better.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Those grips look really nice. Very nice work on them. Definitely look better than black plastic.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Great job on the grips,

Look professional.

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Very nice! I've always wanted to try making my own grips.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, give it a shot SavageGuy, worse thing can happen is you learn things to improve your skills.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Awesome job...looks great !!

I made a set of grips once...my buddy was into wood working...and told me he would show me how. I bought some Zebra Wood blocks at a gun show and viola':

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Thanks...Amateur work at best...but hey, my 1st and only attempt.

The blocks were thick...so my buddy suggested finger grove wrap around...

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Both 67stingray and shooter did a great job on those grips. You should both feel a job well done.:)

·
Banned
405 Posts
Well, I didn't care for the hard black plastic grips that came on the new Blackhawk in .41 Mag I bought so I decided to make a set. Made them out of walnut and haven't added any finish other than Johnson's patse wax. It's not the first set I've made but hopefully getting better.
Everybody who I know that makes handgun grips had a starting point. Yours look pretty dang good, and will probably last until your grandkids inherit those.

I've been doing mostly Ruger Mark pistol grips for over 35 years, and I'm still trying to improve:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Everybody who I know that makes handgun grips had a starting point. Yours look pretty dang good, and will probably last until your grandkids inherit those.

I've been doing mostly Ruger Mark pistol grips for over 35 years, and I'm still trying to improve:

BEAUTIFUL!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Love those Cocobolo grips and your leather work is impressive, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts