Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Ruger's site and clicked on the recall information. There is a list of ten recalls, the M77 bolt action is on that list.

My 34 year old M77R is one of the rifles that is affected. Some rifles manufactured between 1968-1991 may have a problem.

Seems the rifle could discharge without pulling the trigger if the trigger overtravel adjustment screw has worked loose.

If you have an older Ruger M77, you should check Ruger's recall page to see if your rifle is included in this recall.

I called Ruger, they are sending a trigger overtravel screw that I can replace myself.

I always tell new shooters to treat every gun like it is loaded, cocked and about to fire all by itself. Turns out I'm not so silly after all!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Thanks Mag,

I will be calling Ruger, as I have one.

Jim

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday I received the trigger overtravel set screw for my M77.

Turns out it is a set screw and not an overtavel adjustment screw. Looks like the set screw locks the overtravel adjustment screw in place.

CS told me over the phone this screw is a little longer than the original. (Probably too long to be able to back out.)
The directions say if the new screw is in the way of the center receiver screw, tighten it more. (?) OhhhKay........

If there is anything hinky about it when I change the screw I'll post that information. But it looks to be simple enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've known about these recalls and well in all these years I've never had a problem with my guns so I never bothered to call ruger for the screw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts