M1 with selective fire switch

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VThillman, Jun 8, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen a Plainfield M1 with the switch....in action.

They do exist.
    I know where there is one, my friend has a legal one.

:D:cool:

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have read that the reason for giving the M1(2) carbine selective fire was to give paratroopers more firepower in a contested landing zone. Whether true or not, that makes sense. Was the M2 furnished with bigger mags?

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe 15 rnd mags was standard, but I have seen a 30 rounder.

I would think, just assuming, that a full auto would be useless with only 15 rounds.
    Maybe the 30s were made for the full auto version.
    Mine are all 15 rounds.

Best gun for grandkids, lots of boom , low recoil, and mine is very good at grouping 2" at 50 yards,

\Jim

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have a fw 30 rounders in my gun junk. You will notice that the 15 round mags have the two locations on the back of the mag for the mag catch to lock on. The 30 rounders have another one on the side which was an M2 thing. Read somewhere it was suppost to stabalize the mag undrefull auto fire. The mags I have have the 3rdcatch on the side IIRC.

I had a couple of Plainfields, one with the "fat" belly stock and one wih the commercial folding stock that pushed in and out of the stock from the back. They were commercial guns. The "Fat" stocks were meant for the M2s. They had a bigger bulge along the bottom. The cut for the slector on the stock is also noteable on the left side, right at the front end of the receiver. TBoth types of stocks that were on my guns had the cuts for the selector, but no switch. They were commercial semi autos witht he alloy trigger guards. The trigger mag catches were the standard ones with only 2 locations, not 3. The alloy trigger guards were not meant for the M2 use. The guns were probably made in the 60s. I know the"fat" belly stocked rifle was from that period cause the guy I got it from bought it then. The paratrooper stocked rifle was probably made then also. I read that some of the guns had M2 type hammers & sears in them and some did not. Didn't matter back then as long as they were not selective. They only worked in semi auto. They could not be used as M2s without the M2 lower/trigger guard, and the selector assembly.