m 77 hawekeye predator 204 #17123

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by johnhenry, Feb 11, 2016.

1. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

Wanting, not needing another rifle. Have the 223 model and thinking of adding the 204. Anyone here have anything to say about the Hawkeye Predator in 204?
    Accuracy with factory ammo? Anything at all?
    Other manufacturers to consider?
    Thanks, John henry

2. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

Done deal

Ordered it yesterday afternoon. Picked it up this afternoon. Rifle looks good. Fit and finish looks tight. The 2 stage trigger can only be described as phenomenal. Maybe 1-1/2 lb and consistently crisp.

Now to pick out a scope. Leaning towards a Burris Fullfield 1 or 2, 6.5 X 20.
    Open for suggestions. Will be using it for small varmints and targets up to 350 yds. (My aging eyesight appreciates high magnification.)

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

congrats on the new rifle,

Maybe you can be our Ruger Predator .204 , go to guy.;):)

Jim

4. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

Sure Ill do my best. But by rights some one who reloads would be a far better choice.
    In the meantime I`ve ordered a Burris 6.5 x 20 Fullfield E1 scope for it. Was tempted to blow some $$$$ for nice scopes like Nightforce but for shooting up to 350 yds i couldnt justify the expense.
    As soon as better weather and the scope arrive Ill make a range report as I explore factory ammo group results.

5. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

First shots with 204

Put the Burris Fullfield 1 on the 204 last nite.
    Took a few informal shots this morning before work just to get it on paper, using some 34 gr winch ammo. Using just a bipod and no rear rest off the ground I shot a 3/4 group at 80 yds.

Hopefully I`ll get to the bench Sunday with sandbags and produce some formal results with a few different factory samples.

The scope has me smiling also. Good crosshairs for older eyes without looking fat.

6. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

Finally a half hour at the 100 yd range. Rifle shoots great. Under a dime with Winchester 34 gr factory ammo. Same with the Hornady 24 gr NTX and 32 gr V-max. I`m sure I could improve on that if I had a more consistent shooting hold.
    Maybe next weekend I can shoot some heavier weight ammo.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Love to see some range/target pics.

Sounds like a good shooter.

Jim

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Nice shooting. I would not object to some pics of the sighted-up gun. I like to look at guns, even just photos of them are better than nothing.

:popcorn:

9. johnhenry

johnhenry New Member

[​IMG]

Heres my best group. Ruger m77 Hawkeye Predator in .204 Ruger, Burris e1 Fullfield 6.5 x 20 x 50, Hornady 24 gr NTX factory ammo, 100 yds. 4 shots, group measures .220

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Great shooting.

11. specialforces2016

specialforces2016 New Member

Can someone do a quick comparison between the hawkeye predator.204 verse the heavy barrel Varmit target .204...? ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1484003549.354800.jpg

12. specialforces2016

specialforces2016 New Member

Which one is generally the better quality and consistent .204..,?