Lust for a Ruger 10/22 Compact

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Karl R, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Karl R

Karl R New Member

I think I am in lust for the new Ruger 10/22 Compact. It has several features that I really like. Plus, of course, it is a Ruger 10/22 with it's impeccable reputation.

Now, you may think I'm nuts, but I would outfit this with a laser, and it would stand by as a home defense weapon. (I own several Ruger handguns, and am a very competent shot). We are in our 70s and live in a 1 bedroom apt. We have a 12ga Savage-Stevens standing by, but that may be "overkill" in our little apt., in a very safe neighborhood and town. My spouse is shy about picking it up and using it to blast away, where she is very used to shooting a .22lr. I'm rambling here, sorry. Anyway, I am open to your comments about this new little rifle if you have any. View attachment 11994

rugertoter likes this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

10/22 LaserMax is very accurate once it is dialed in. Just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger @ (25 yds) in my case.

Karl R likes this.

3. Karl R

Karl R New Member

Thank you and I have a question for you. The new 10/22 Compact does not have a barrel band. Do you think the Ruger 10/22 Lasermax will still work? Can it be modified to work? As a Lasermax 10/22 user, what do you think?

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Well, I don't know if it would work. You should contact Ruger to see if their laser can be retrofitted.

If you are determined to have a laser and it cannot be retrofitted, then I would simply buy a 10/22 LaserMax. The barrel is only 2" longer and I consider it a very small rifle anyway. A compact would be more appropriate for kids maybe?

Karl R likes this.
  5. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

You simply cannot beat a Ruger 10/22 for shear fun and taking out small game. I went to the range this morning, took a Savage in .223 Remington and my 10/22. I put a 4x scope on the Ruger, and at 50 yards, was able to hold a 1.75 inch group...and that was with some low-budget Remington Golden Bullets! I ran 50 rounds through it, and no misfires or anything.

Nothing wrong with your idea of a home defense carbine either. Slap a 15 round or 25 round Ruger magazine in it, and some clown busting into your apartment would need buckets to catch lead!

I had a carbine once, wish I still had it, but am thinking on buying another. Beware though, the one I had had a very short length of pull, and for me to be able to shoulder and shoot it, I had to add a 1" slip-on butt pad. I think the LOP on those carbines is only like 13".

dlgabler, Pancho_Villa and Karl R like this.
  6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

yI had as many as 5 back when there were a lot of used ones floating around gunshows and pawn shops. All that ended when people started buying them up to ''build'' what they called custom rifles. Swapped a lot of used ones at gunshows when there were plentiful.

Only have 2 stainless ones now for my kids to use when they are home and feel like burning up ammo. Only mods I do are putting Butler Creek side folders and 4X scopes on them. Well, hicap mags too. Kinda old school, but they like them.

Guess thar funding a way to put lasers on them would make them easier to shoot with the stoks folded up. No need to
    unfold stocks to shooi accurately in low light. Gotta be some kinda rail adapter for that somewhere.

rugertoter and Karl R like this.
  7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Can't go wrong with a 10/22!

Karl R likes this.
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

9. Karl R

Karl R New Member

I have changed my mind and will just modify a regular 10/22 carine to get it the way I want. How do I delete a post? Thanks.

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Pick up a 10/22 and you will find it is pretty small. You can always dump the works in a Butler Creek folding stock, but it's a pretty decent gun as is. You will find the OEM rotary mags work perfectly although they only have a 10 round capacity. Remember it's a 10/22, not an UZI.

Karl R likes this.
  11. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Wow. The cyclic rate of fire, on his full-auto 10/22, had to be around 1,200-1,300 RPM! Amazing.

12. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I can see a 10/22 in my collection someday soon.:cool: