Lubing a 10/22

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BerettaBoy213, Jul 22, 2016.

1. BerettaBoy213

BerettaBoy213 New Member

Hi all. New to RugerTalk, but loving my 10/22 :). Have had an issue with it and thought I'd get your input.

I bought my 10/22 a few months ago and have only had a few opportunities to try it out, but had an issue with it stovepiping on CCI Mini-Mag 36gr HP's. Like every 10th round. I called Ruger and they said send it in, got an RMA, shipping label, the works. I also brought it to my LGS to have them look at it before losing it in the mails for however many weeks and the guy there had an interesting suggestion. He said to put a little bit of lube on the area around the breech, which though it looks flat he said is the feed ramp, and on the extractor. He put 50 rounds of the same CCI the store had through it...no probs for him. :eek: Embarrassing. I read the Ruger 10/22 manual and it is vague about any particular areas that require special lubing or care. Putting lube that close (the feed ramp) to ammo scares me a bit. I usually just leave it basically bone dry after cleaning it out without leaving a bit of lube anywhere in particular. What does everyone think?

2. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

How new is your 10/22? It could be the tolerances are just tight enough that when it gets warm causing it to stick a little. Check your extractor, Ruger extractors, I have put Volquartsen extractors in some of my 10/22s and it eliminated all stove piping issues. I love Ruger, but there is a reason aftermarket extractors are big sellers.

3. BerettaBoy213

BerettaBoy213 New Member

A few months old, only shot in half a dozen times.

Update: shipped it off to Ruger. When it gets back will see about a Volquartsen extractor. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and keep us informed how it goes.

5. BerettaBoy213

BerettaBoy213 New Member

Buster: Thanks.

Does anyone else know of parts in recently made 10/22's that commonly need replacing or cause trouble? I might want to just preemptively replace a bunch of stuff when it comes back.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, I wore out a magazine one time.....

Welcome to the forum.

7. BerettaBoy213

BerettaBoy213 New Member

How is that possible? It was a Ruger, yes? :p j/k

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

It probably just got too dirty to work. I tried cleaning it without disassembling. Didn't work.
    So Ruger just replaced it free of charge. :)

They have an exploded view of the mag in the manual but tell you not to take it apart. Next time I'm gonna see what's inside..... ;)