Looking for suggestions for light load 44Mag

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by hockeyref, Sep 10, 2014.

1. hockeyref

hockeyref New Member

I have Promo, Unique, Bullseye, Reloader 7, WW-231, WW-296, WW-WST1, WW-WSF1, & Accurate#9 as available powder choices on the shelf. Looking to use magnum cases and either 240gr Sierra FPJ (tournament master) left over from IHMSA days, or maybe a 200 or 240 gr hard cast if is still have any of them sitting around. (found an ammo can full of 240gr LSWC and a half box of Penn 240gr TCPB's and a pound of Unique)) Goal is to find a soft shooting plinker that's easy on the powder volume and recoil.....

Gun is a 10"+ barreled Stainless SBH that I used to shoot IHMSA with 25 years ago.... Full house loads I have, I just never developed soft loads for this puppy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

T ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1410368104.999387.jpg
    Here is a pleasant load I use in a 7.5 SBH

3. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Why not use 44 special loading data?

4. hockeyref

hockeyref New Member

Could probably do that... But sometimes if you ask nicely you can get some really decent pet loads to use as a starting point. I've seen a whole lot of book loads that just plain weren't worth the trouble and just as may off the wall loads that worked really great.

5. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

I use 8.5 unique with 240/250 cast bullets sized .430. Very accurate and easy to shoot. Velocity average 875fps.

6. hockeyref

hockeyref New Member

Great, I have Unique. Next question is whether i should mess with the crimp. Dies are set up for a heavy roll crimp for full house silhouette loads from back in the day. 24gr WW296 or 23gr AA#9 with a 240gr bullet. Gonna use the same bullets so do any of you see an issue with the heavy crimp in the lighter load?

7. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

The heavier the crimp, the higher the chamber pressure.
    The higher the chamber pressure, the higher the muzzle velocity.
    The higher the muzzle velocity, the greater the recoil.
    Reducing the recoil is what you are wanting.
    So it you can't get the recoil level you want with the heavy crimp then try easing up on the crimp.
    You will still need some crimp to prevent the bullets from walking out of the cases.
    One of the nice things reloading is you can shoot more for less money and load developing means lots of shooting and isn't that what you want.
    Have fun and be safe.

8. hockeyref

hockeyref New Member

Yep. I know that, that's why I asked..... looking for someone to comment on their real world experience here since mine is only with full house Magnum loads.
    SO maybe the next question should be (and I admit this is subjective) how much does the recoil reduce going from 24 grains of 296 to 8 grains of unique with all else equal....??? Are we talking dropping to 38 special type recoil? Big heavy gun will soak some of it up... that WW231 load isn't too far off of a 45ACP load and my SBH weighs in a "bit" heavier than my .45 Govt. I will ultimately load them and go shoot, but won't have the opportunity to do that for a week or three - or more. Still considering something in the 6 grains of bullseye\red dot range too... If I do end up wanting to mess around with crimps then that will necessitate another crimp die as I do not want to mess with what is already set.

9. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

In my experience going from a max load of 296 or H-110 to the unique load, the recoil is more of a gentle push. I shoot the load in a 5.5 inch Super Blackhawk and it would be compared to that of a 38+p.
    A 240/250 grain jacketed bullet with 24 grains of 296/H-110 gives around 36,000 CPUs. The 8.5 to 9.0 load of unique behind a 240/250 cast bullet only gives you 17,500 or so CPUs. 38+p runs around 17,500 CPUs.
    In a nutshell with the weight of the 44, recoil will be half that of the H-110 load you we shooting.
    I remember the early 80s and shooting IHMSA and NRA silhouettes! Fun times!

10. billt

billt In the army now..

The main purpose of a heavy crimp on .44 Magnum loads was to insure the reliable ignition of the very slow burning powders like 2400. Unique burns quite fast, therefore a heavy crimp is not required. A heavy crimp on revolver loads also keeps the bullets from pulling forward during recoil. With a light load of Unique, the recoil will be mild. Again not requiring a heavy crimp. I would set your crimping die to just remove the bell left from the neck expander die, and let it go at that.