Looking for gun safe recommendations.

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by jmohme, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

The wife and I have been looking around a bit at gun safes.
    We lost our home and most of our possessions in one of the Texas wildfires.
    We grabbed a few valuables, but \ were allowed very little time to evacuate since the fire started 1 1/2 miles from our house.

We rebuilt and did a pretty good job of building a secure home with materials to make our house as fire resistant as possible, but really need a safe for our valuables, and a gun safe seems the best overall option, but there are so many choices.

We are leaning towards one of the Browning offerings. They seem well built and have decent published fire ratings.

Also looked at some Cannon and Stack On safes.
    I was not very impressed with the Stack On's but Cannon safes seemed a good value. I was however concerned about the electric keypad locks.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Primary requirement is going to be fire protection with theft protection being a very close second.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would stay away from the electric key pads because they are known to fail. My electronic key pad failed before it was 3 years old and luckily I got it to open one more time to change out the lock to a combination lock. My American Security safe has a lifetime warranty but the lock is only one year. Ha the lock is what makes the safe a safe so IMO the safe is only warranted for 1 year.
    While you need watch out buying a safe from a big box store you will IMO come out ahead getting one from them. As long as the locking is top grade and the safe has at least a half hour to an hour fire rating then you should be good to go. The old saying you get what you pay for sometimes is a bunch of bunk. I realize I could have gotten a safe twice the size of mine for way less than I paid for my big name American Security that isn't built any better than many big box store safes. It cost me $350 to change out my electronic to an combination lock. You can get a very good safe depending on size for $350 to $700. Get the biggest you can afford that will fit in your storage area for it.
    IMO stay away from the electronic key pads.

3. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

It all depends on your budget. You can customize a closet to be extremely fire resistant and moderately secure and hide it behind a bookshelf. You can buy a big box store safe - cannon, Remington, cabelas, ft. Knox, etc.. and they will give you between 30 and 90 minutes of fire protection and maybe 45 minutes of theft protection.
    Or, look at an AMSEC HS TL30 as a starting point for reasonable protection.
    Or do a custom poured concrete room with a vault door and a pressurized CO2 coolant system and a Halon fire extinguishing system.
    It's all about what you can afford to buy, and what you can't afford to lose.

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Some of the newer safes have both the electric keypad as well as the combo lock. I've had both, but I use the electric safe twice as much as the combo lock, just because it is easier and quicker for me.

5. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input.

6. Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman New Member

I'm really happy with my Liberty Fat Boy 64. It's a lot of safe for the money and they are a great company that stands behind their products. Sorry about your losses in the fires.

7. smokier

smokier New Member

Greetings,
    The pistol safe we use has an electronic key pad with a keyed bypass/override. Not sure if larger/full sized gun safes have that same feature set or not.

8. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I bought a Field & Stream Combination Lock Safe at Dick's,it's hold 16 guns.If I wanted to put more guns in it,that wouldn't be a problem.

9. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

I went through 3 Stack-On Biometric safes that read your fingerprint.
    3 safes in less than 5 months.
    Poor product.

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If your still undecided,
    I know its probably overkill,
    but , 28,000lb safe with a couple thou more inside.... with room to expand..:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Coming along VERY nicely Jim!

12. gunslinger669

Is that one of those "outdoor safe rooms" , like you can get for a storm shelter, or did you build it yourself from scratch? I'm interested because I'm running out of room inside and that is a good creative solution.

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

14. gunslinger669

15. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I've got a Cannon and a Browning, both are good safes with good fire ratings. The Cannon has a warranty that covers all materials and labor to repair damage caused by fire, natural flooding and attempted break in. Just something to think about.