Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my .38 stubby I just sold. I had the Charter Arms Pitbull .40 Cal thinking about another one also liking the .357 not sure what to get Taurus which is less expensive but good gun Ruger SP101 which is a little more . All my weapons I have are .40 and .38 so that is the dilemma . HELP!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The more I read about the Ruger SP101 being a tank and ultra reliable. If I was to get a wheel gun it would be that or the LCR in.357 (but I would practice using .38)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok forgot about the LCR I also was looking at the Taurus Protector Poly .357 $375 for the gun and about the same as the Ruger LCR I have the protector in the .38

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Guess it depends on what type of shooting your going to do with the revolver. If its going to be a range gun.....then I would look at the GP100. If its a carry for personal defense and some light range shooting.....then I would look at the SP101. If its for EDC....then I would look at the LCR......just some of my ideas......good luck on your new wheel gun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Biker about sums it up for me. For strictly range and HD use you cannot beat the GP100. I personally have selected the SP101 for occasional carry and range purposes. If I were going to carry every day (I am not) the LCRs are the way I would go.

Nothing against Taurus but I will take a Ruger over Taurus every time. I tried shooting that light S&W stubby (I forget the model designation) and neither I nor the owner could hit the broad side of a barn with it. I have not shot an LCR so don't know if that is easier to shoot accurately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would love to do the LCR what scares me is they say something about a tension screw that it has on that has to be adjusted and if too much tension can hurt the gun

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would love to do the LCR what scares me is they say something about a tension screw that it has on that has to be adjusted and if too much tension can hurt the gun

The only reference to a tension screw that I can find is for some holsters not the gun.
I recently purchased the LCRX in .38 and love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the .357 Taurus model 605 protector poly the guys at my gun store made me an incredible offer $400 out the door could not pass up

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the LCR without the hammer in .38. Not the best range gun, but to carry it is great. I wished that they had the hammer one when I bought mine. I kind of like the hammer for the first shot. BUT isn't the trigger pull pretty much the same in single or double action.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
My girlfriend has a LCR 38 Special.....its a great EDC for personal defense. We shoot it every so often so she can practice. Its pretty accurate to about 7-8 yds, after that its a little tuff. Its a little hand full.....after so many rounds, you can feel it in your hand. So its not the gun to take to the range and shoot all day. Its perfect for what is was made for.......self defense. So that why I say you need to decide what type of shooting your going to do. I agree with Redleg......the Taurus would not be my choice, but there ok .....

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I would say get the sp101 in .357 and shoot .38's thur her.
On other hand the LCRx is a great EDC and if someone don't like the sting it has after about 30 rounds then check out the LCR 22mag. It would be a good choice also..

Davìd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok forgot about the LCR I also was looking at the Taurus Protector Poly .357 $375 for the gun and about the same as the Ruger LCR I have the protector in the .38
I seen those poly 357s. Dont think a poly revolver in 357 would be to durable. I may be wrong. I got the sp101 357 with the 4.2 in barrel and love it. The trigger was alittle rough at first but mine smoothed out after a few cyclinders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why not too durable. mostly all guns are poly now threw the .44 special like the Nighthawk by Smith n Wesson which is more powerful than a .357

1 - 20 of 22 Posts