Looking for .22 LR bench shooters

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by SWO1, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 New Member

Joined today hoping to get some info on the RAR in .22 lr. Thinking about getting one but so far just cant pull the trigger. I shoot .22 off the bench @ 50 yards. Have heard a lot about the accuracy of the RAR but to be honest ...... of all the groups and results I have "seen" and not just heard about aren't that impressive. Wondering if anyone here shoots bench and has some info on why or why not ..... ???

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Been a long time since me and the kids did any real bench shooting. Well, if ya can call 4-H competitions bench rest shoointg. My kids are in their early 30s now. That was back when they were in Jr. High. Put together a Mossber 44 US heavy barrel rifle for them to use. It was a bit heavy for them. They really never got serious about it. The gun was capable of doing it. Most of the group was shooting a later model Mossy 44 LS rifles provided by the county for competitions. However, it was a bit intimidating to got up against the urban shooters at area meets with privatel owned Anschutz and similar rifles. Big difference in rural dnd urban competitors. They were deda serious and looked like they were training for the Olymics. Our groups were not so serious about it.

That's about the limit of anything I did. Distances were a good bit shorter than 50yds. More like 30-40 feet. The kids had to shoot in different positions, so it really wasn't bench rest. Our groups had some parents that were shooters, so we did some bench rest shoing with the old Mossy 44s. Just never got real serious aobut it either. Still have the old rifle and it is capaple of cutting ragged holes at @ 50 yds. However, I have glaucoma now and can't even use the peep sights anymore.

3. SWO1

SWO1 New Member

Pancho_Villa ...... I know what ya mean with the eye problem. My days of shooting irons are OVER. Use a 36X on the .22 at 50 yards .. :p

Don't shoot competition anymore just against myself and teaching the grandkids. Some friends and neighbors once in a while on the Pistol range. Just for fun and enjoyment of shooting. Don't have any of the high $$ rifles, just entry level stuff, Savage, Marlin CZ. Try to do most all my own work. I liked the concept of the adjustable stocks on the RAR. Granddaughter and youngest grandson could benefit from that setup.

Ruger makes some fine center fire rifles and pistols. I shoot a friends .204 and helped him develop a good reload for it. Just don't see anyone shooting them in .22 for target. Excluding the 10-22 following who are a separate group unto themselves.

4. mallardhunter

mallardhunter New Member

Go to rimfire central and read about them there. They know everything rim fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk