Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend locked her dang car with her only key inside the car laying on the floor. She lost her main carry key a few weeks ago from her key ring and lucky she had another key on another key ring in the car so she could get back home. I told her get a another key made or she could be real sorry she didn't. So because of what has been going on around here she locked the door while holding her keys in her hand. OOPS! The last remaining key was on the other key ring she had sitting on the dang floor of the car. I told her the other day when we were going somewhere to lock her car. Her car was sitting in driveway not only unlocked the but the dang keys were sitting on the seat. She said she trusts people. I told her she was about a dumb ......and it wasn't like she could afford to buy another car if it got stolen.
So I got on the wonderful web to see how to get into the car. I saw one video showing several ways to get inside. One was use a toilet plunger over the lock and push in the plunger...bingo the video showed the lock popped up. Next one showed use a stun gun on the lock cylinder and the lock popped open. Next one showed put a slip knot on a string and catch the door lock post and pull up. Well these all worked on the video but they sure didn't work for me. I think the plunger and stun gun were done as a total spoof but I had to try it. Another showed pry out the top of the door and insert a rod inside to operate the lock rocker switch. Well I was able to hit the rocker but evidently couldn't push it down far enough to activate the switch.
So she called the dealer and will go and have another key made for $45. I told her if she leaves her car with the keys inside again then I will call her everything except intelligent. Her normal action of just throwing her key on the floor is totally nuts. I said if someone sees the window down and looks inside and sees the keys then your car will be stolen because of her stupidity or laziness.
I carry my key fob on a separate ring from the ignition key ring. The fob stays on my belt ring so if I lock the keys inside I can use my fob to unlock the car. I started doing that when I was working on a friends car that had a dead battery. I had the key in ignition and shut the door. Next I heard a click and the dang door locked. The dang battery had just enough power to lock the door. That took me 2 hours to get the door open and only because I had a window down a little bit to get at the lock post.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep,
few years back
was going somewhere
started the Jeep
forgot something in the house
shut the Jeep door
door locked
spare key in the house
house key locked in the Jeep
So, thanks to cell phone
called Auto Club
15 mins. later
door opened.
And I do have the capability to separate the keys
but didn't.
Oh well.

It is a Cherokee, not a Jeep Jeep.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I always carry 2 sets of keys. One set in each front pocket.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife used to carry a set of keys in her purse and we went to a picnic. I goofed up and shut the locked door with the keys in the ignition. My wife's purse was sitting inside also.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Neither one of my cars will allow me to be locked out.................if I leave the key in the ignition. We keep 2 sets for both vehicles. Some people just make it too easy for dishonest people.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with that. I told her why she didn't just put a sign on the car saying take me.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My Nissan Altima, will not let you lock the fob inside it.

My Tunda truck has 3 keys, one with me , one with wife, and one on a key rack in kitchen.

I live so far in the boonies, the crooks probly cant find me, but my car, truck, shop, and house stay locked.:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of GM vehicles will lock the doors automatically after starting the car. Yes the car is not supposed to lock if the fob is inside. I knew two people that had Suburbans that their wives would start it to warm it up in the winter. Click the door would lock after they shut the door.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took her to Toyota dealer to get another key. Her key actually has the theft chip and it cost $75 and then $100 for service dept. to program it to the car. He said it takes a unit in service dept. to hook up to car computer to program it. What a crock! My GM chip key had like 3 steps to get the car to program to the key.
So she got just an un-chipped key to open the door with. That was $45. I told her take this key to auto parts store and get it copied for less than $5. It will not start the csr but at least it will open the door to get the keys out of it.
So we got the door unlocked and all was fine till the driver door lock wasn't releasing all the way so couldn't open the door now. Rolled the window down and heard something catch on the window inside the door. I have no idea how to get the door panel off when the door is closed. Oh the fun never ends.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now why would anyone need one of those if they already have gun? I can buy a bit of ammo instead of buying the stunner. Also I don't think I want to kill the door.
But all help is appreciated. Even if it is only for humor. lol

·
Banned
558 Posts
Now why would anyone need one of those if they already have gun? I can buy a bit of ammo instead of buying the stunner. Also I don't think I want to kill the door.
But all help is appreciated. Even if it is only for humor. lol
But the cattle gun is quieter and safer. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts